01 of 02
Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium Visitor Information
The Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is one of Tacoma's most popular attractions. Visitors and residents love to check out the animal exhibits, which include polar bears, sharks, tigers, meerkat, lemurs, and otters.
Activities at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
In addition to watching the animals and their antics, there are other options for learning and fun at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
- Marine Discovery Center
Touch tanks and interpretive exhibits covering the Puget Sound ecosystem.
- Wild Wonders Outdoor Theater
Animal programs in an open-air theater with both covered and hillside seating.
- Animal Encounters
Zoo keepers share information at exhibits throughout the day.
- Kids' Zone
Child-friendly combination of animal exhibits, climbing and play areas, and conservation activities.
- Paul Titus Antique Carousel
Take a ride on this historic 1917 carousel.
Events at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
A number of special events are held at the zoo during the year,... including:
- Zoolights - colorful lights and decorations make the zoo a festive family experience during the Christmas holiday season
- Zoo Boo - mid-October Halloween-themed fun with indoor and outdoor activities, costumes encouraged
Some areas of the zoo are also available for private parties and events.
Food & Drink the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
What would a visit to the zoo be without a picnic or some tasty snacks? Here are your options at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
- Picnicking - there are several areas where you can spread out with your friends and family, relax, and enjoy a meal, including the Red Wolf or Asian Forest picnic areas or one of the picnic lawns.
- Cafes - sandwiches, burgers, and other fast foods are available at the Plaza Cafe, the Rocky Shores Cafe, or the Pearl Street Sea Grille.
Facilities & Services at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
The following facilities and services are available at the zoo for your safety and comfort.
- free parking
- first aid stations
- rentals of such items as wheelchairs, scooters, umbrellas, and strollers
- lockers (fee)
- gift shop
- educational programs for kids and families
Where is the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is located within Point Defiance Park, a Tacoma city park that spreads over 700-plus acres.
5400 North Pearl Street·
Tacoma, Washington 98407
http://www.pdza.org/Continue to 2 of 2 below.
- Marine Discovery Center
02 of 02
What Animals Can I See at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
You'll find creatures from the Pacific Northwest and around the Pacific Rim. The Zoo & Aquarium is open year round. Here is a list of some of the animals you'll see:
Asian Forest Sanctuary
A bamboo forest environment where exotic animals rotate from one exhibit to another.
- Sumatran tigers
- white-Cheeked gibbons
- siamangs (primate)
- Malayan Tapir
- anoa (small Asian buffalo)
- crested porcupines
- Tragopan pheasants
- Asian small-clawed otters
Native creatures in an environment that simulates Washington's ocean coast.
- harbor seal
- pacific walrus
- sea otter
- tufted puffin
An exhibit featuring mammals found on the Alaska tundra.
- Arctic fox
- polar bears
Animal exhibits with a focus on learning about an animal’s place in the world through families, homes, and communities.
- mole rat
- spiders and tarantula
- frogs and toads
Child-friendly combination of animal exhibits, climbing and play areas, and conservation... activities.
Point Defiance's aquariums feature creatures from the North and South Pacific.
- tropical fish