01 of 06
Ireland - Planning a Vacation in Ireland - Where to Find Basic Information
Planning a vacation in Ireland doesn't have to be hard - just follow some basic advice in this list of resources on Ireland and the Irish:
Obviously, planning how to get to Ireland should be the first consideration ...Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Ireland - Getting There and Getting Around
Getting there should be your first consideration when planning a vacation in Ireland - unless you are traveling from the UK or mainland Europe air travel is the only sensible way to go. You will get more information on our specialized pages:
- Ports of Entry - Ireland's airports serving transatlantic routes
- Ireland's Airports - complete list of airports with scheduled flights
- The Joy of Changing Planes - advocating indirect travel
Ireland's three carriers offer a number of possibilities, with Aer Lingus currently operating the only long-haul flights.
A rental car is, outside of Dublin, the best way to explore Ireland. It not only gives you the most convenient means to get to any attractions, it also allows you to draw up your own route. Driving "on the wrong side" is not such a big problem as it sounds.
In Dublin, public transport is well developed and... will meet the needs of any visitors. As it is also considerably faster and cheaper than using a car, it should be your first choice. Outside the Dublin area, however, trains and buses can be few and far between.
But you may also want to experience Ireland at your own pace - both cycling and walking vacations are very popular. Either following your own agenda or joining an organized tour.
Now you should look for accommodation in Ireland ...Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Staying Overnight in Ireland
The choice of accommodation in Ireland is wide and varied. From the most basic hostel with bunk beds in shared dorms to the highly sophisticated hotel with a Jacuzzi in your suite.
Budget will be the visitor's ultimate restraint, Ireland is not generally known as a cheap country to stay in. It is well worth keeping an eye open for bargains and inclusive offers. When comparing prices check especially for the breakfast options - a "full Irish breakfast" will keep you going for hours, a "continental breakfast" is just a light snack, and most attractive room rates in hotels exclude breakfast.
Find out more:
Time to think about eating and drinking in Ireland ...Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Eating and Drinking in Ireland
Food and drink will swallow a large part of your budget. You will have to eat and, unless you are on a self-catering vacation, have to pay fairly high prices for this, making it an important part of budgeting and planning a vacation in Ireland.
Some general information on food and drink in Ireland:
- Original Irish Foods - What to Feast on in Ireland
- Favorite Irish Drinks - Alcoholic Beverages in Ireland
- Fast Food Outlets in Ireland
Restaurants and pubs in Ireland:
This should have covered the basics, now onward to the question of what to see in Ireland ...Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Sightseeing in Ireland
Picking a list of attractions might be easy for some and hard work for others, but there are some things you should really see (though you won't be able to see them all in one short vacation). When planning a vacation in Ireland try to find a balance between the time spent traveling on the roads and actually taking in the sights - the Emerald Isle is far from the ideal territory for a pure "road trip".
- Ireland's Top Ten Sights - Picking the Best of the Best
- The Top Ten Places to Visit in Dublin
- Ten Lesser Known Places to Visit in Dublin
- The Top Ten Places to Visit in Connacht
- The Top Ten Sights of Leinster
- The Top Ten Attractions in Munster
- The Top Ten Visitor Attractions in Ulster
Depending on your interests, you might also like to consider:
- The Best Traditional Festivals in Ireland
- The Best "Highbrow" Festivals in Ireland
- The Top Ten Golf Courses in Ireland
- Movie Locations in Ireland
- Haunted Hotels and Pubs in Ireland
Some hints on what you can expect during your stay are... found in our monthly listing of events and festivals in Ireland.
And, finally, you might consider missing out on the overrated attractions and tourist traps in Ireland.
And now for some practical advice on Irish vacations ...Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Practical Advice for Ireland
Just a few more details to consider:
- Value for Money on Your Vacation in Ireland
- Money Matters - Cash, Credit Cards and Traveler's Checks in Ireland
- The Irish Weather
- Before You Buy a Guide Book to Ireland
- Travel Writing on Ireland
- Ireland in the Movies - Films with an Irish Theme to Watch
By now you should be well advanced in planning your vacation in Ireland ... enjoy your stay!