A camping honeymoon can be a great idea for a couple who love the outdoors and are willing to chance the weather. Some of the best reasons for deciding to choose a camping honeymoon are that it:
- Is affordable
- Puts you in touch with nature
- Can take place close to home or far away, anywhere from an uncrowded beach to a national park to a remote mountaintop
- Helps a couple get to know one another really well
Choose a Destination for Your Camping Honeymoon
The About.com Camping Expert has an entire site devoted to helping readers plan camping trips. Suggested articles:
Camping in North America
The About.com National & State Parks site is a good resource for couples who want to plan a camping honeymoon in the USA or Canada. Suggested articles:
- Find a Park Near Where You Live
- Best National Parks for Beach Lovers
- Most Romantic Getaways in National Parks
Outfit Yourselves for a Camping Honeymoon
If you haven't camped before (or want to augment what you already have), you can shop for gear online. The basics are simple: a tent, a tarp, and sleeping gear. The following are all reputable sellers.
- REI (visit site) is a one-stop shop that can outfit your outdoor travel and camping with the latest gear, clothing, and footwear. The company also leads camping and active adventures.
- Paragon Sports (buy gear online) can help to equip you with just about everything you need for a honeymoon camping trip. It stocks tents, compasses, cookware, sleeping bags, lanterns, and offers a variety in each category.
- Maps.com (order maps online) has what you need to plan your route in advance and lead the way when you're on site.
- Magellan's (search for gear) carries specialty items, ranging from flashlights and rainwear to solar power packs and insect repellant.
- If you need luggage as well, Zappos provides a vast selection.
A Few Words of Warning
As exciting and adventurous as a camping honeymoon sounds, it's certainly not for everyone. There's no shame in telling your partner that you're not cut out to be a camper. Don't choose a camping honeymoon if:
- One or both of you are very modest
- Insects make you squeamish
- Sounds in the dark frighten you
- You don't want to be rained on, snowed on, or uncomfortably hot
- You require immediate access to a shower
- You don't like the idea of cooking your own meals
- Nights without TV and Web access are unacceptable
- You want to experience a bit of luxury on your honeymoon
If none of those situations faze you, then an outdoor honeymoon is probably a great idea for the two of you. Go forth and pitch your tent.