Family Day is the third Monday of February and observed as a public (or statutory) holiday in the four Canadian provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, and Ontario. It was first held in Alberta, Canada, in 1990 as a day to reflect on the values of home and family that were important to the pioneers who founded Alberta. It allows workers the day off to spend more time with their families. Family Day is not a federal holiday, so it is not countrywide and federal organizations like post offices stay open.
Prince Edward Island and Manitoba also have holidays on the third Monday of February; however, the holiday in these provinces is not called "Family Day," but Islander Day and Louis Riel Day, respectively. British Columbia also has Family Day but it is on the second Monday of February.
This year, Family Day falls on Monday, February 19, 2018. Here is a list of some of the places that are open—as well as those that are not—on Family Day in Toronto.
Open on Family Day
- Federal government offices, including Passport offices and most post offices.
- Meal and drop-in centers
- Some supermarkets and convenience stores - call ahead
- Most restaurants - call ahead to be sure
- Shopping malls: Eaton Centre, Vaughn Mills, Pacific Mall, Woodbine Centre are all open
- Most tourist attractions and museums, including the Toronto Zoo, Art Gallery of Ontario, Royal Ontario Museum, CN Tower, Ontario Science Centre, Hockey Hall of Fame, and Casa Loma.
- Some ice rinks and arenas.
- TTC operates on a holiday schedule, but note that public transportation varies by city. For example, public transportation in Kingston does not run at all on Family Day.
Closed on Family Day
- Public libraries
- Shopping malls not designated as tourist attractions
- LCBO (liquor stores) and beer stores
- Post offices located in closed retail outlets.
- Most grocery stores and pharmacies, including Shoppers Drug Mart (call to be sure)
- Toronto Stock Exchange
Take advantage of this holiday and spend time with your family. There are plenty of fun activities to do on Family Day--from visiting the zoo to ice skating to touring a museum.