By the time April rolls around, the weather in Phoenix is already quite warm but still cool enough to enjoy the many outdoor events, festivals, and celebrations in the area this spring.
From Easter Sunday egg hunts on April 1 to Arbor Day tree planting events on April 27, you're sure to find something to enjoy in central Arizona in April 2018. Whether you enjoy big-name concerts or want to check out the local art scene in the Phoenix area, there's plenty of opportunities to explore this year.
Art Walks and Gallery Events
Of the many things Phoenix is known for, the art scene might be the most celebrated, and there are plenty of great events happening all month long in the surrounding area. Since the weather's warmed up, expect to find plenty of outdoor markets and fairs in the Valley of the Sun.
- 2nd Friday Night Out in Mesa—live music entertainment, raffles, and an art walk in Downtown Mesa on April 13, 2018.
- 6th Street Market—Arizona-made goods for sale in an open market in Downtown Tempe on Sundays throughout April.
- Chalk Art Festival—mural artists will create chalk masterpieces at the Westgate Entertainment District in Glendale and the Tempe Marketplace on April 28, 2018.
- Discount Tire Free Family Weekends—Free admission for everyone at Phoenix Art Museum on the second weekend of the month. Includes a special hands-on, educational program or entertainment designed to appeal to visitors of all ages.
- Downtown Chandler Art Walk—over 50 artisans set up along the streets in Historic Downtown Chandler on the third Friday of the month.
- First Friday Phoenix—more than 100 downtown art galleries, studios, and spaces open their doors for free on the first Friday night of the month.
- Downtown Mesa Fest—family-friendly events featuring art, music, and entertainment in Downtown Mesa on April 7 and 21, 2018.
Music Concerts and Comedy Events
From local talent to international pop sensations, Phoenix and the surrounding area will welcome several performances to the Valley of the Sun this April. From performances of Arizona State University (ASU) student concerts at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts to the Wet Electric music festival and pool party, be sure to check out these events if you're in town this month.
- ASU Concerts at the Center—concerts performed by School of Music students at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on select Monday evenings all month long.
- Arizona Winds Concert Band Concerts—a performance of "How Suite It Is" at Cactus High School in Glendale on April 8, 2018.
- Chandler Chamber Music Series—the 25th season of the Chandler Symphony Orchestra returns to a new location at the Chandler Community Center Multipurpose Room on April 14, 2018.
- Chandler Jazz Festival—outdoor concerts featuring the Francine Reed-Lewis Nash All-Star Band and the Bad News Blues Band at the Downtown Chandler Stage on April 6 and 7, 2018.
- Country Thunder Music Festival—four days of camping, big-name country music performances, arts and crafts vendors, and local foods in Florence, Arizona on April 5 through 8, 2018.
- Desert Ridge Marketplace Concerts—free concerts every Saturday and Sunday night on two stages in North Phoenix at Desert Ridge Marketplace. Performers in 2018 include 76th Street featuring Haley and Spencer, Come Back Buddy, and Traveler.
- Fountain Hills Music Fest— a family-friendly music festival featuring performances from artists in various genres at Fountain Park on Saturday, April 7, 2018.
- Gilbert Downtown Concerts—free concerts take place at Water Tower Plaza in Gilbert on April 12 and 26, 2018.
- Good Life Festival—outdoor concert series at the Encanterra in San Tan Valley featuring national and local artists on April 28, 2018.
- Goodyear Spring Concert Series—local artists perform on April 14 and 21, 2018, at the Goodyear Community Park.
- Goodyear Lakeside Music Fest—live music and dance performances, a kids' zone, beer and wine garden, arts and crafts, and food vendors at Estrella Lakeside Amphitheater on April 7, 2018.
Sports Events and Professional Games
With baseball season starting on March 30 and more than a hundred games in the Major League Baseball (MLB) regular season scheduled throughout the month, April is a great time to catch a ball game in Phoenix. You can also catch a number of other sporting events and activities throughout the month—from roller derby to golf and everything in between.
- A.S.U. Sun Devil Baseball—games for the PAC12 baseball team take place at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium on various dates in April.
- Arizona Diamondbacks Baseball—MLB games take place at Chase Field all month long.
- Arizona Bike Week—motorcycle competitions, exhibits, charity rides, auctions, raffles, bands, and rallies take place April 11 to 15, 2018 at the WestWorld of Scottsdale.
- Arizona Derby Dames—all-girl roller derby representing Phoenix since 2006 with playoff games for the championship taking place on April 21, 2018.
- Phoenix Rising Football Club—professional soccer games for the United Soccer League on select dates in April.
- Chandler’s Family Bike Ride—7.8-mile bike ride along the Paseo Canal held in conjunction with Valley Bike Month on April 7, 2018. Families get an opportunity to get exercise and celebrate bicycling for recreation and as a way to replace automobile trips for short trips.
- CycloMesa—bike ride, swap, activities, and entertainment in Mesa on April 7, 2018. Formerly known as the Great Arizona Bicycle Festival.
- Friday Night Drags—locals bring their own vehicles and race at Wildhorse Pass Motorsports Park, Chandler on April 20. Other events at the Wildhorse Pass include Rugged Maniac on April 7, Supra Boats Pro Wakeboard Tour on April 13, and Lucas Oil Off-Road Racing on April 14, 2018.
- Friday Night Lights—golf games, a nine-hole glow putt course, and music for kids and a driving range, putting field and chipping clinics for adults at the Westli Kierland Golf Club in Scottsdale on Fridays until April 13, 2018.
Animal, Science, and Nature Events
From special exhibits at the Phoenix Zoo to special outdoor lessons about astronomy, there are plenty of events and activities for animal and nature lovers to discover in the Valley of the Sun this April.
- Arizona Touch of Class Miniature Horse Show—free admission to performances and competition by registered miniature horses at WestWorld on March 29 to April 1, 2018.
- Astronomy Evenings—a novice-level talk explaining the solar system and galaxy around earth followed by observing the moon, planets, and star systems through a Celestron telescope at Pinnacle Peak Park in Scottsdale on Friday, April 5 and 12, 2018.
- Birds 'n' Beer—a presentation on Arizona birds and other wildlife with fellow nature-lovers over cold brews at the Nina Mason Pulliam Rio Salado Audubon Center in Phoenix on the third Thursday of April.
- The Butterfly Pavilion—special springtime attraction that invites guests to walk among newborn butterflies all month long at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.
- Dog Days of Glendale—activities, pet wellness information, Glendale Police K-9 demonstration, vendors, adoptions, and pet photos for at Murphy Park on April 8, 2018. This will be the seventh annual Dog Days event.
Cultural Events and Heritage Celebrations
While there are many events celebrating national holidays, celebrities from around the world, and out-of-this-world foods and drinks, the Phoenix area also hosts a number of festivals and events celebrating the people and heritage of the region. From community events like Celebrate Mesa to full-on reenactments like the Arizona Renaissance Festival, there are plenty of cultural events happening this April.
- Arizona Renaissance Festival—immersive reenactment with music, theater, comedy, food, drinks, crafts, games, and knights in Apache Junction on March 31 and April 1, 2018.
- Celebrate Mesa—carnival rides, bounce houses, entertainment, and vehicle displays all in celebration of this small town at Pioneer Park on April 14, 2018.
- Easter Celebrations—many egg hunts, brunches, and visits from the Easter Bunny will happen in the greater Phoenix area on Easter Sunday, April 1, 2018. You can also attend an Easter service at one of the areas many churches and cathedrals or even catch special Easter performances and plays.
- El Día de Los Niños—booths with interactive games, hands-on art activities, storytelling, and live entertainment sponsored by the Latino Institute at Hance Park in Phoenix on April 27, 2018.
- Embracing Your Journey Expo—holistic, wellness, and metaphysical event designed to enlighten and inform guests about alternative health and lifestyle products and services on April 22, 2018.
- Katsina Doll Marketplace—the nation's largest gathering of Hopi katsina doll carvers takes place at the Heard Museum on April 14, 2018.
- Gilbert Global Village Festival—a free community celebration of ethnic traditions from countries around the globe featuring music, dance, visual arts, children's activities, and food on April 14, 2018.
- Phoenix Pride—parade, festival, foods, and a health and wellness expo to celebrate gay pride at the Steele Indian School Park on April 7 and 8, 2018.
Career Events and Trade Shows
Whether you're looking for a new job or just want to pick up some specialty items at one of the trade shows coming to Phoenix this April, you'll have plenty of opportunities this year.
- Arizona's Ultimate Women's Expo—demonstrations, workshops, products, and services geared toward women during one of the largest trade shows in Arizona at the Phoenix Convention Center on April 28 and 29, 2018.
- Copperstate 1000—car show that features hundreds of classic, muscle, exotic, and street rod cars at the Tempe Diablo Stadium on April 7 to 11, 2018.
- Crossroads of the West Gun Show—a gun show featuring hundreds of tables for both hunters and avid collectors at the Arizona State Fairgrounds on April 21 and 22, 2018.
Food and Drink Events and Festivals
Arizona loves to eat—and drink—which means there are several events happening in and around Phoenix this April to celebrate the area's rich heritage of food and beverage. From wine festivals to food fairs and events, you won't want to miss these local traditions.
- Arizona Wine and Dine—20 of the Valley's finest local restaurants, kitchens, and national wineries provide samples of food and wine accompanied by live musical entertainment on April 5, 2018, at the Scottsdale Quarter.
- Chandler Craft Spirits Festival—Deep Eddy Vodka presents a celebration of craft, small batch, artisanal, boutique, and premium spirits and cocktails at Dr. AJ Chandler Park on April 14, 2018.
- Great Southwest Cajun Fest—live music and a variety of Louisiana-style Cajun food in downtown Chandler on April 21, 2018.