Some hotel brands are honestly, unconditionally pet-friendly. Loews Hotels' Loews Pet program is the most famous example of pet-friendly hotel brands. These hotels welcome pets with open paws, minimal fees, no restrictions, and doggie goodie bags.
Perks From Loews Loves Pets
Loews Hotels' Loews Loves Pets program, in place at all Loews hotels, is a model of its kind. The Loews Loves Pets policy is light on pet-owner expenses and restrictions. Loews charges only a $25 one-time fee for pet visits (like all hotel fees, this is subject to change). Loews places no restrictions on pets; you can leave Bowser or Meowzer in your room. The only limit rule is that you can have two pets max per room.
With their pioneering and influential pet-friendly program, Loews gives you and your pet all sorts of perks.
- Room Service: Loews delivers great customer service to canine and feline guests. Each hotel offers a deleashous room service menu of house specialties hand-delivered to your pampered pet. The owner (or the pet!) can choose various brands of packaged pet foods or order fresh, chef-made gourmet dishes for dogs or cats. See one of their example recipes below!
- Pet Supplies: Loews doesn't stop with critter chow. This hotel brand really wants your pet-owners' business. Loews hotels lend visiting pets dog and cat beds, leashes and collars, litter boxes and scoops, scratching posts, even dog coats and booties. Owners can even expect local dog-walking maps.
- Goodie Bags: Loews welcomes critters with a pet gift bag including food and water bowls; a fuzzy welcome mat; dog treats; a bone-shaped, gold metal Loews collar tag; scoop bags; a "Pet in Room" door sign; and various retailer discount cards.
- Pet Handlers: The hotel will refer you to sitters, walkers, groomers, and veterinarians. Some Loews hotels offer a pet concierge.
- Travel Packages: Loews appeals to travelers and their animal companions by offering weekend packages including "Su'ruff Camp" (doggie surf school) at the Coronado Bay Resort near San Diego; "Outward Hound" nature activities at Loews Denver Hotel; and "The Hound of Music" at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel in Nashville, in which pooches record a howling CD.
Don't get sent to the doghouse! Call the hotel you're considering visiting with your pet and find out what their pet policy entails. Even if it's a Loews hotel, you should call for the details of that particular hotel's pet policy including the housekeeping fee, if any.
Avoid Faux-Friendly Hotels
Lots of hotels today claim to be pet-friendly. But in fact, quite a number of self-proclaimed "pet-friendly" hotels are actually what you could call faux-friendly. These judgmental hotels take the fun out of traveling with your pet. They do this in a variety of ways.
"Faux-friendly" hotels permit pets only in certain rooms, which are usually less desirable or far from the hotel. They charge a considerable, nonrefundable "housekeeping fee," sometimes as much as $150 per night. Many faux-friendly hotels forbid pet owning guests from leaving their furry friends unsupervised in their hotel room, forcing them to hire a pet-sitter supplied by the hotel.
Loews is all-in as a pro-pet hotel brand, so their resorts are innocent of these not-so-pet-friendly tactics. They the opposite of pet-unfriendly hotels, having pioneered pet-friendliness and consequently captured the loyalty of many pet owners and their furry family members. Bottom line: if you're not staying at Loews, you might have your work cut out for you to find another pet-friendly option.
Bow Wow Tenderloin of Beef Recipe
(Yields four servings)
- 1 pound ground filet mignon
- 4 large eggs
- 8 cups brown rice
- 12 slices white bread, crumbled, crusts removed
- Preheat 10" sauté pan.
- Add ground beef and cook in its own liquid until the meat is no longer red.
- Remove from stove, discard grease, and set the beef aside.
- Hard-boil eggs for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool and peel.
- Crumble eggs and add to pan with cooked beef. Reserve mixture.
- In a separate saucepan, boil rice in unsalted water until tender. Let cool.
- Add rice to beef and egg mixture.
- Add crumbled white bread.
- Serve when dish cools off a bit. If refrigerated, let dish come to room temp before serving, or warm to your dog's taste.