01 of 06
Parrot Cay by COMO: Wellness-Focused Caribbean Private Island Resort
Parrot Cay by COMO: Caribbean Yoga Chic
Parrot Cay by COMO is a Caribbean private-island resort: a hotel set on its own island, with a mile-long beach. This is an extremely high-end resort, whose accommodations go for four figures per night.
The resort regularly receives awards from Condé Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure. Parrot Cay is hailed for its wellness and spa facility, referred to as COMO Shambala Retreat.
Parrot Cay is a tranquil hideaway located a 40-minute boat ride from Providenciales, the main island of Turks & Caicos.
The thousand-acre island is also home to palatial private villas owned by the likes of Donna Karan and Bruce Willis. (Both can be rented out for upwards of $10K a night).
Parrot Cay by COMO was opened in 1998 by the Singaporean hotelier Christina Ong, who owns and runs nearly a dozen resorts under the COMO rubric.
Will You Like Parrot Cay by COMO?
Parrot Cay by COMO will probably be your style if you seek:
• A beach-intensive vacation on a beautiful stretch of sand
• A quiet, private, romantic resort
• Understated yet lovely, natural decor
• Spa-like cuisine with ample vegan, raw, and vegetarian options
• Excellent, friendly service
• A good gym plus yoga classes
• A resort that will welcome the whole family (including the dog)
Parrot Cay by COMO may not be for you if:
• You crave an urban beach experience a la South Beach, San Juan, or Waikiki, near shopping and restaurants
• You want a resort with hot nightlife on-property
• You prefer all-inclusive hotel pricing
• You're a hedonist, and will be put off by the wellness focus
• You can't deal with very young guests, and would be more relaxed at an adults-only resort
Why was Parrot Key once an infamous island? Could it be...pirates? >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Parrot Cay, a Swahsbuckling Caribbean Isle
The Pedigree of Parrot Cay
There was a time when Turks & Caicos, a group of islands the former British West Indies, was overlooked as a Caribbean destination.
There’s some swashbuckling lore to Parrot Cay. It was settled by female pirates (it's said that “Parrot” was once “Pirate” Cay). Their hilltop home provided sweeping views of the ocean -- and ships that they could ransack. (To this day, the original Pirate House is preserved and can be rented out.)
But Turks & Caicos has become a fashionable Caribbean address, with hotel choices like the hip Gansevoort and the super-upscale Amanyara.
Nevertheless, Parrot Cay, a 40-minute ferry ride from Providenciales, still remains an enclave of off-the-beaten-path luxury.
Service at Parrot Cay
It’s easy to see why this stylish spot retains a loyal following amongst the European cognoscenti and fashion elite:
• The staff is helpful and attentive without being overbearing (most hail from Bali)
• The overall feel of the place is easygoing elegance
Personal butlers, assigned to guests staying in villas, run to and from the beaches, fielding requests for everything from iPads to children’s sand toys
How You Get to Parrot Key
Guests are shuttled from the Providenciales airport to a welcome center where the pampering begins: herbal-scented towels, drink choices that include beer or mineral water, and a quiet walk to the dock where the ferry boat waits.
Once at Parrot Cay, guests are chauffeured around the sprawling property via golf carts driven by the polo-clad staff. Or guests can walk the picturesque grounds, as I did.
Parrot Cay is Family-Friendly
Parrot Cay prides itself on being a family-friendly resort. There’s plenty for children to do:
• Beach activities (kayaks and paddleboards are gratis)
• A zero-entry infinity pool
• Ping-pong and pool tables
• An inviting library with an interesting book selection
The sheer size of the grounds ensures that kidlets can run around freely without bothering honeymoon couples and dinner-party quartets quaffing wine at sunset.
Parrot Cay is Pet-Friendly, Too
Pets can run around, too; dogs are welcome at Parrot Cay, a pet-friendly hotel.
How nice are the rooms and suites at Parrot Cay? Be prepared...>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Rooms and Suites at Parrot Cay by COMO
Parrot Cay's Tropical-Chic Rooms, Suites, and Villas
Parrot Cay is a boutique hotel with a total of 72 rooms, suites, and private villas.
• These accommodations range from king-bed rooms to spacious three-bedroom houses with private pools and assigned butlers
With the exception of the colonial-style “main house,” the resort's tropical design is reminiscent of Bali, with teakwood floors, simple white couches, and pebble-strewn pathways.
All rooms are handsome and airy, with Caribbean-style dark-wood furniture and romantic four-poster beds draped in sheer white curtains. Good-looking daybeds function as either banquettes or additional beds for little ones. (No unsightly rolling cots to take up precious floor space.)
• Every accommodation, whether garden-view or ocean-view, has a balcony or terrace with plenty of space to stretch out with a good book (or fashion magazine).
In-room perks at Parrot Cay include:
• Free wifi in rooms and throughout the resort
• Phone/iPad docks
• Complimentary bottled water every night at turndown service
• Black flip-flops with the hotel’s logo (a fun souvenir)
• Nalgene-style reusable water bottles
• Minibar, in-room safe, tea/coffeemaker, bathrobes
Beach Houses and Beach Villas: Best Digs at Parrot Cay by COMO
If you’re looking to splurge, the resort's beach houses or beach villas can’t be beat as luxury hotel accommodations.
We stayed in a two-bedroom beach villa. It came with its own butler, full-service kitchen, two outdoor showers, soaking tubs, and a private pool.
• Beach villas are nestled behind the sand dunes, but have direct access to Parrot Cay’s spectacular beach
• Beach houses are located directly on the beach and have all the above amenities
Get your health up & your weight down on light yet luscious dining at Parrot Cay by COMO >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Healthy, Delicious Dining at Parrot Cay by COMO
Feel-Good, Taste-Good Food at Parrot Cay by COMO
Dining options at Parrot Cay's two restaurants are uniformly pleasing.
Lotus serves Asian-inspired and global cuisine.
• This is the casual, open-air poolside spot
• Lunch brings hearty dishes like a lobster roll with a side of tostones (grilled plantains) or a Wagyu beef burger with fries
On Saturday nights, only Lotus is open. That's when it serves its locally famous barbecue dinner, with live calypso music. Menu offerings include Caribbean grilled lobster, ribeye steak and jerk chicken. Tiki lamps and pillar candles illuminate elegant table settings overlooking the moonlit shore
The Terrace, serving breakfast and dinner, is more of a traditional white-tablecloth eatery.
• Here, the menu is Mediterranean
• Dinner can be a well-paced feast with tasty, healthy dishes like roasted beet salad with caramelized endive and pappardelle with braised tuna, orange, and mint
• The Terrace's breakfast buffet is quite nice, with morning classics like croissants, smoked salmon, French toast
• Healthy breakfast beverages include fresh-pressed juices calibrated to aid digestion
• Also concocted: detoxification elixirs like Electrolyte Lemonade (lemon, pear, ginger, flaxseed oil, Celtic sea salt)
Afternoon tea service is served daily in the cozy library, a nice British West Indies touch.
Wellness Menu at Parrot Cay by COMO
There’s also the COMO Shambhala wellness menu, available all the time at both eateries (and from room service). The COMO Shambhala menu is a healthy option that many guests see as a body tuneup. It is essentially a parallel menu of raw, vegan, or healthy alternatives. It features:
• Little salt (when necessary, Celtic sea salt is used)
• No dairy (as an alternative, tofu is blended with aioli to create a yogurt)
• Unprocessed honey in place of sweeteners
• Minimal fats; organic olive oil is used instead of butter
• There's no calorie counting
COMO Shambhala wellness dishes are very light but flavorful. I liked the soy bean, pumpkin and Swiss chard patties with tofu aioli; the tabbouleh salad; the vegetable hot pot with udon noodles and silken tofu. Desserts are appealing; organic cashew cheesecake with fresh berries is hardly punishment.
See why celebs and fashion folk flock to Parrot Cay by COMO for its wellness programs >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Spa and Wellness at Parrot Cay by COMO
Parrot Cay by COMO's Commitment to Spa and Wellness
All COMO hotel properties are known for their commitment to wellness and nutrition.
• Parrot Cay epitomizes this ethos, with an award-winning spa and a beautiful yoga pavilion
• Complimentary yoga and Pilates classes are offered daily
• I made it up the hill for 8 a.m. yoga sessions that were on par with the best I’ve encountered stateside
• Private instruction and frequent retreats led by world-renowned teachers
• An outdoor Jacuzzi garden and Japanese baths
• A menu of fresh-pressed juices like the Cool Down (watermelon, mint and cucumber) which helps relieve headaches, hydrates and reduces internal heat
The Spa at Parrot Cay by COMO
Parrot Cay's spa, called COMO Shambhala Retreat, is a major focus of the resort.
The complex is composed of multiple low-lying pavilions. They dot a hill that overlooks the North Caicos Channel and surrounding wetlands, ensconcing patrons in unspoiled natural beauty.
• The spa has nine treatment rooms
• A full menu of Asian-inspired spa therapies range from body treatments to facials and massages
• My massage, incorporating Thai massage techniques, was performed by a therapist who had studied in Bali
More Fitness Options at Parrot Cay
• The cottage-like fitness center is open 24 hours and free to guests
• The resort's main pool, a sizeable infinity pool, is suitable for lap-swimming
• Guests can hike and bike around Parrot Cay
More Things to Do On-Property
The beach concierge can arrange on-property activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, windsurfing, snorkeling.
• Off-property adventures include sailing and scuba excursions
• For kids, the hotel can arrange pirate scavenger hunts
Get in touch with Parrot Cay by COMO & start planning your healthy luxury vacation >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Find Out More about Parrot Cay by COMO
Get In Touch with or Follow Parrot Cay by COMO
• Resort website (with a best-rate guarantee)
• By phone from North America 855.PARROTCAY (855.727.7682)
• By email
• On Twitter (@ParrotCayResort)
• On Pinterest
• Parrot Cay by COMO image gallery
• Parrot Cay by COMO
Providenciales, Turks & Caicos, British West Indies
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing the hotel. For more info, see our site's Ethics Policy.