Parking near the Capital One Arena can be challenging on weekends and especially during popular events. The Penn Quarter neighborhood has become one of Washington, D.C.'s most popular and as a thriving arts and entertainment district with lots of restaurants and bars, it is one of the most congested areas of the city. The Capital One Arena has its own parking garage located underneath the building, with its entrance on 6th St NW Washington, D.C.
The garage opens 1 ½ hours before and closes 1 hour after most events. The garage is not open for public parking for Washington Wizards or Washington Capitals games except for persons with disabilities. There are additional parking garages in the area totaling about 10,000 spaces located within walking distance to the Capital One Arena. See a map and directions
You may be better off getting to the area by public transportation. The closest Metro Stations are Gallery Place/Chinatown (directly at Capital One Arena), Judiciary Square, Metro Center and Archives-Navy Memorial Penn Quarter. For transportation tips, see A Guide to Using the Washington DC Metrorail.
Pay-By-Space Street Parking Near the Capital One Arena
In October 2015, the District Department of Transportation is launching Pay-By-Space parking, a new way to pay for parking in the Penn Quarter and Chinatown areas of Washington, D.C.
Pay-By-Space means drivers will now park in defined spaces, read the four- or five-digit space number on space marker posts, and then enter the number at the payment kiosks, or on their mobile devices with Parkmobile. There is no need to display a receipt on a dashboard.
Public Parking Garages Near the Capital One Arena
- InterPark Clara Barton Garage - 616 E St NW, Washington, D.C. (202) 347-5259. The garage is located one block from the Capital One Arena beneath a 435-unit condominium building that houses street-level retail space and The Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company. It is owned by InterPark, a large parking operator.
- Colonial Parking - 425 8th St NW, Washington, D.C. (202) 295-8100. The family-owned and locally-based company operates many parking garages and lots throughout the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area.
- Atlantic Parking - Several Lots in the area: 901 E St NW, Washington, D.C., 901 F. St NW, 975 F. St NW Washington DC, 505 9th St NW Washington, D.C. (202) 759-8588. With multiple parking garages throughout the DC metro area, the locally owned company offers daily and monthly parking options.
- Laz Parking - 600 E St NW, Washington, D.C. (202) 393-1966. LAZ is one of the nation’s largest parking companies.
- Standard Parking - 777 6th St NW, Washington, D.C. (202) 842-2343. The parking garage is one of the most convenient to the Capital One Arena and offers reserved parking. You can purchase your parking online in advance of the event and guarantee a spot. Additional lots in the area are located at 625 Indiana Ave, Washington DC, 455 Massachusetts Ave, Washington DC and 601 Pennsylvania Ave NW Washington, D.C.
Read More About Getting Around the Washington, D.C. Area