Parking is free or relatively inexpensive in Old Town Alexandria and there are plenty of options including on-street parking, public garages and parking lots. On the weekends and during popular events, the busiest sections of town can get pretty congested, so it is a good idea to look at a map and plan ahead. Once you park your car, you can get around the city easily by taking the free King Street Trolley.
If you choose not to drive, Alexandria is easily accessible by public transportation and has four Metro Stations: King Street, Braddock Road, Eisenhower Avenue and Van Dorn.
On-Street and Free Parking in Alexandria
On-street parking in Old Town Alexandria is available at meters and in free spaces with posted time limits. Most free parking is limited to two hours, from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m., Monday through Saturday, and 11 a.m. Sunday until 2 a.m. Monday. Metered parking is free after 9 p.m. and on Sundays. Parking limits are strictly enforced so be sure to read all posted signs before parking. Mutli-space meters accept coins and credit cards. You can also sign up to pay by phone. Handicapped parking is free for up to four hours at single- and multi-space meters.
City Owned Parking Garages
- Courthouse Square Parking Garage – 111 S. Pitt St. Alexandria, VA (877) 385-4113
- Market Square Garage - 108 N Fairfax St, Alexandria, VA - (703) 549-3237
- Thompson’s Alley Garage - 10 Thompson’s Alley
- N Union Street Garage - 220 N Union St, Alexandria, VA - (703) 739-9650
Public Parking Garages and Lots
- Tavern Square Parking Garage - 418 Cameron St, Alexandria, VA - (703) 836-9122
- Landmark Parking - 1101 King St, Alexandria, VA - (703) 519-9932
- Colonial Parking - Multiple locations: 1800 Diagonal Rd, 1700 Diagonal Rd, 601 John Carlyle St. ,801 N. Fairfax St., 1800 Duke St., 102 N. Union St., and 652 Wythe St. Alexandria, VA
- Alfred Street Garage - 117 N Alfred St, Alexandria, VA - (703) 549-2885
- Solo Parking - 101 Duke St, Alexandria, VA - (703) 548-8389
- Diplomat Parking - 1600 Duke St, Alexandria, VA - (703) 299-8750
- SP Parking – 115 Union St. Alexandria, VA (877) 717-0004
Alexandria is an interesting and fun place to visit with great museums, restaurants, shopping and historic sites. With its location just outside of Washington DC, Old Town makes a perfect day trip from the busy sites in the nation's capital. It is also a great place to stay overnight. See a list of hotels in Alexandria. To get a glimpse of the historic city, see a Walking Tour of Old Town Alexandria.
Looking to learn more about the area? See the Top 10 Things to Do and See in Alexandria, Virginia.