When someone tells you about The Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach, it may sound boring. Who wants to go out just to see a bunch of people recreate original, artsy-fartsy paintings? What's so exciting about that? Here's what.
At the Pageant of the Masters, real people pose to look exactly like their counterparts in those works of art. And the effect is jaw-dropping: Those three-dimensional bodies suddenly look as flat as any painter's canvas.
It's an experience that's hard to describe, but maybe this will help. The picture above isn't two people looking at a painting. It's two staff members inspecting two living, breathing women to be sure they're in the right spots and ready for their "scene." In a feat of eye-fooling magic that rivals award-winning special effects, paint and light make those three-dimensional humans look flat.
If you're still feeling baffled, watch the video at the Pageant of the Masters website.
During the performance, about 20 artworks go on display. A professional orchestra plays an original score to provide background music.
TV Trivia: In an episode of the television show Arrested Development, character George Sr. gets out of prison for an afternoon. He is supposed to participate in the "Living Classics" pageant. Dressed as God, he tries to escape from the stage, and a comic chase ensues.
Tips for Pageant of the Masters
- Get there early, park in the lot right across the street and have dinner there - or at one of the restaurants in the shopping center nearby
- You can also park at any lot in town and use the free shuttle that runs every 20 minutes. Laguna Beach app includes trolley tracker feature.
- Get there on time or you may have to wait to be seated.
- Seat cushions for rent for a very reasonable price. Bring your binoculars for a closer look, but try not to spend the whole show peering through them.
- The Fine art show is worth a look.
- Check the schedule of other events that might appeal to you including art talks, and music .
- It can be hard to figure out where the show is, you’re not alone, just ask someone.
- Smoking, cameras and audio recorders are not allowed.
- If you live in SoCal, you know this, but in case you don't: Even on the hottest days, it can get chilly fast when the sun goes down. Check the forecast and bring layers.
Festival Art Show
Along with the Pageant of the Masters, Laguna Beach hosts the Festival Art Show. It's a rigorously juried show of original works in all media. The festival takes place in a six-acre canyon park near the ocean and is open daily.
A Pageant of the Masters ticket or ticket stub gives you unlimited free admission to the festival. If you don't attend the Pageant of the Masters but want to see the artwork, the festival charges a small admission fee. Laguna Beach residents with ID receive free admission, as do children under the age of 12.
Around the same time of year, you can also attend the Sawdust Festival, which is an arts and crafts festival held nearby.
How to Get Pageant of the Masters Tickets
Everyone who attends the Pageant of the Masters must have a ticket. No babies-in-arms or children less than four years old are admitted.
Order Pageant of the Masters tickets online or call the box office at 800-487-3378. Tickets go on sale to the general public in December. The best seats sell out by January for performances starting in July.
You may be tempted to buy tickets from someone standing on the street. Sometimes, they're just regular people who can't use the tickets they bought. Other times, it can be risky, but if you're determined, these tips may help you keep from getting cheated:
- Bring cash.
- Know what the ticket looks like. Politely ask someone if you can see theirs.
- Bring a seating chart. Unscrupulous scalpers may show you an altered one.
- Test the seller by asking if they'll walk to the gate with you. If they're reluctant, it could mean the tickets are counterfeit, and they don't want to be around when it's discovered.
You may also find Pageant of the Masters tickets on eBay or Craigslist, an even more risky way to get them. If you decide to try it, be sure the seller has an excellent feedback rating, with more than just a few entries. Try to get the seller to give you a physical address where you can contact them in case of trouble.
What to Know About the Pageant of the Masters
Shows are every night, from early July through early September. The venue is in Laguna Beach, California.
Festival of Arts and Pageant of the Masters is held near the intersection of Pacific Coast Highway (CA Hwy 1) and Laguna Canyon Road at 650 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach, CA. Get more information and a map at the Pageant of the Masters Website.
To avoid parking frustrations, check their website before you go.
If you're going to Laguna Beach, find out what else you can see and do — for a day or a weekend — in this guide to Laguna Beach. And if you're looking for more things to do in the summer, you'll find them in this guide to for fun things to do on a summer night in the LA area.