The Washington DC area offers a variety of great destinations for outdoor ice skating during the winter months. These rinks are becoming very popular and there are now many places to skate in the capital region including Downtown locations and the Maryland and Virginia suburbs as well. Enjoy the crisp cool winter air and the ambiance of the city (or other urban destination) while skating outdoors.
Although weather dependent, most of the ice rinks are open from mid November to early March. Please note, hours and prices are subject to change.
In Washington DC
- Sculpture Garden Ice Rink - 7th St. and Constitution Ave. NW Washington, DC. The ice skating rink at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden is a long time favorite destination, attracting thousands of visitors to skate in the parklike setting on the National Mall, surrounded by extraordinary sculptures by renowned modern and contemporary artists such as Louise Bourgeois, Alexander Calder, Roy Lichtenstein, Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. The skating season begins in mid-November and continues through mid-March, weather permitting. The Pavilion Café offers a panoramic view of the Sculpture Garden and ice rink as well as a variety of food and beverages. HOURS:
Monday-Thursday 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday and Saturday 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Sunday 11 a.m.-9 p.m. ADMISSION: $8.50 Adults, $7.50 Children and Seniors. Skate Rentals: $3.
- Canal Park Ice Rink - 2nd & M St. SE Washington DC. The park in the Capitol Riverfront neighborhood offers public skating, learn to skate programs, birthday parties and special event rentals. HOURS: Monday-Tuesday: noon-7 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday noon-9 p.m. Friday noon-10 p.m. Saturday: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. ADMISSION: $9 Adults, $8 Children (under 12)/Seniors (55+)/Military. Skate Rentals: $5.
- Washington Harbour Ice Rink - 3000 K St. NW Washington, DC. Washington Harbour, the multipurpose property along the Georgetown waterfront is offering ice skating with beautiful views of the Potomac River. HOURS: Monday – Thursday: noon–9 p.m. Friday: noon–10 p.m. Saturday: 10 a.m.–10 p.m. Sunday: 10 a.m.–7 p.m. ADMISSION: Adults: $9, Children/Seniors/Military: $7, Skate Rental: $5.
- Silver Spring Ice Rink at Veterans Plaza - 8523 Fenton St. Silver Spring, MD. The ice skating rink, located in the center of Downtown Silver Spring, is surrounded by a variety of restaurant and shops. Lessons and party rentals are available. HOURS: Sunday 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday Noon-10 p.m. Friday Noon-Midnight Saturday 10 a.m.-Midnight. ADMISSION: Adults: $9, Children/Seniors/Military: $8, Skate Rental: $4.
Rockville Town Square Ice Rink - at 200 E Middle Lane, Rockville, MD. The ice rink at Rockville Town Square is the largest outdoor rink in Montgomery County and offers some family fun, lessons, and party rentals. HOURS: Mon-Thur, Noon to 10 p.m., Fri Noon to 11 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Sun 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. ADMISSION: $8 (12 and under), $9 (13 and up), Skate Rental: $4.
In Northern Virginia
Tysons Corner Center Ice Rink - Plaza at Tysons Corner Center, Tysons Corner, VA. The 5200 square feet ice skating rink will be open from November 28, 2014 through March 1, 2015. Skater rentals are available at Tysons Corner Center. The rink is open during regular mall hours, Monday-Saturday: 10 a.m. – 9:30 p.m. Sunday: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults and $9 for children, seniors and military members. Skate rentals are $6.
- Pentagon Row Ice Rink - 1201 South Joyce Street, Arlington, VA. The popular shopping center offers ice skating, party rental, skating lessons, and ice hockey lessons. HOURS: Sunday 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Wednesday Noon-10 p.m. Thursday Noon-7 p.m. Friday Noon-11 p.m. Saturday 10 a.m.-11 p.m. ADMISSION: Adults: $9, Children/Seniors: $8, Skate Rental: $4.
- Reston Town Center Ice Rink - 1818 Discovery Street, Reston, VA. Reston Town Center, a popular shopping and dining destination, is home to a family-friendly ice rink. Special events include Rock 'n' Skate, Fridays, 8 a.m.- 10 p.m. and Cartoon Skate, Saturdays, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Learn to skate programs and party rentals are available. HOURS: Sunday-Tuesday: 11 a.m.– 7 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Friday-Saturday 11 a.m.– 11 p.m. ADMISSION: Adults $10, Children under 12 and Seniors (55 & up) $9. Skate Rentals $6.