Open and Closed Victoria Day/Journée des Patriotes Day in Montreal: May 21, 2018
Journée des Patriotes is an annual statutory holiday held the first Monday before May 25 in Quebec, this on the same day the rest of Canada celebrates Victoria Day, Queen Victoria's birthday. In 2018, Victoria Day or Quebec's Journée des Patriotes (French for Patriots Day) is on Monday, May 21, 2018.
And as a statutory holiday, many businesses shut down for the occasion.
But not everything grinds to a halt. In fact, there are quite a few things to do during Journée des patriotes weekend (or Victoria Day weekend), not to mention all that is happening in May, including these May freebies. More on that below. But first, a quick note on the holiday's name.
So Is May 21, 2018, Victoria Day in Montreal? Or Journée des Patriotes?
The astute reader has probably noticed the proverbial elephant in the room by now. It's true, there is some confusion as to what to call this holiday within the province Quebec, with residents and even local media openly divided on the subject. Some insist May 21, 2018, is Victoria Day and yet others pledge allegiance to Journée des Patriotes.
Begging the Question: Why Does the Quebec Government Commemorate a Different Holiday From the Rest of Canada?
The following businesses and government offices are closed on Victoria Day / Journée des patriotes in Montreal this May 21, 2018:
- most city of Montreal offices
- municipal court
- most provincial and federal offices
- postal service and Canada Post post offices, with the exception of independent post offices operating in the private sector, which can remain open at their discretion
- some restaurants, especially since it's common practice for some to be closed every Monday anyway
The following businesses and government offices are open and/or can remain open at their discretion on Victoria Day / Journée des patriotes in Montreal this May 21, 2018:
- 311, the city of Montreal's information hotline
- pharmacies of any size
- SAQ liquor stores
- shopping malls
- grocery stores of any size
- public markets or farmer's markets
- service-based businesses like hair salons, restaurants, gas stations and manufacturers are free to remain open at their discretion
- some arenas, swimming pools and sports centers remain open, others don't, depending on the neighborhood, call 311 for details
- Montreal Casino (hint: it's always open)
- La Ronde
- Montreal Biodome
- Montreal Botanical Gardens
- Montreal Insectarium
- Montreal Science Centre
- Montreal Planetarium
- McCord Museum
- public markets/farmers markets
- parking meters (no freebies)
- garbage pickups and recycling generally stays on schedule with isolated exceptions, if at all; call 311 for details
- note that public transit schedules (buses, metros, trains) adopt a slower weekend schedule on Monday, May 21, 2018