Alexandria, Virginia celebrates Saint Patrick’s Day with a day of family fun events, including a classic car show, a dog show and a Saint Patrick’s Day Parade. Federal, state, and local elected officials; the Irish Ambassador; military commanders; and other local celebrities participate in the Alexandria parade each year. Local scouts, marines and high school bands are also be represented. The event is organized by the Ballyshaners, a non-profit organization that promotes Irish heritage.
Date: Saturday, March 4, 2017
Schedule of Events
- 9-11:45 a.m. - Invitational Classic Car Show. North Pitt Street between King & Cameron Sts.
- 10:30 a.m. - noon - Fun Dog Show. Market Square
- 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Parade
The parade starts at Alfred and King Streets and runs along King turning east on Lee Street ending at Cameron Street. See a Map and Directions to Alexandria.
Transportation and Parking
Public transportation is suggested due to limited parking in the area. You can take the Metro and get off at the King Street stop and walk about 10 blocks to the east. If you’d rather not walk from the metro station, take a DASH bus for $1.60. To drive to Old Town, take the George Washington Memorial Parkway to East King Street. See an interactive map and directions from around the region. There are parking meters on the street and plenty of parking garages in the area.
Official Website: www.ballyshaners.org
Irish Pubs in Alexandria
Following the parade, many people will head to nearby Irish restaurants to continue the celebration and enjoy some Irish cuisine, beer and music. Here are some suggested destinations.
- Murphy's Grand Irish Pub - 713 King St, Alexandria, VA (703) 548-1717
- Daniel O'Connell's Restaurant and Bar - 112 King St, Alexandria, VA (703) 739-1124
- Fiona's Irish Pub - 5810 Kingstowne Center, Alexandria, VA (703) 888-3900
- Samuel Beckett's Irish Gastro Pub - Village at Shirlington, 2800 S Randolph St #110, Arlington, VA (703) 379-0122
- The Celtic House Irish Pub and Restaurant - 2500 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA (703) 746-9644
- Sine Irish Pub and Restaurant - 1301 S Joyce St, Arlington, VA (703) 415-4420
- P. Brennan's Irish Pub and Restaurant - 2910 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA (703) 553-1090
This parade is one of many St. Patrick's Day events in the Washington, DC area. For information about all of the celebrations around the region, see St. Patrick's Day in the Washington, DC Area.