Many communities in the Washington, DC area hold Oktoberfests, a local version of the famous fall festival held each year in Munich, Germany. The Oktoberfest is a family fun event focused on German beer, food, music and dancing. Here is the schedule of 2017 Oktoberfests in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia. (In order by date) Note many of the events take place in September.
- Snallygaster DC - September 23, 2017, 1-6 p.m. First and N Streets SE, Washington, D.C. The beer festival will feature more than 300 different ales and lagers, food vendors, live music, DJ’s, recreational and family-friendly activities. Admission contributions will benefit the Arcadia Center for Sustainable Food & Agriculture. Drink and food tickets will be sold separately.
- Busch Gardens Bier Fest – September 1-17, 2017. Busch Gardens, Williamburg, VA. Raise your glass with a variety of beer, traditional German food, live music and more in this unique Bavarian celebration. The Oktoberfest celebration features 75 beer varieties representing 10 countries, including Southeast Asia, Europe and the United States. Several selections from Virginia-based craft brewers also will be on tap. Access to Bier Fest is included with park admission.
- Biergarten Haus Oktoberfest - Through October 2017. 1355 H St NE Washington, DC. The Bavarian pub offers their regular 12 drafts and 11 additional Oktoberfest drafts, food and live music.
- District Oktoberfest - September 16-17, 2017. Explore Washington DC’s Chinatown bars including RFD, Penn Social, Jackpot, Iron Horse, Fado, Rocket Bar, and Austin Grill for beer specials and entertainment. Admission: $45-80. A portion of the proceeds will go to local charities.
- Wunder Garten Oktoberfest - September 22-24, 2017. 1st and L Streets NE Washington DC. The beer hall in the NoMa neighborhood features a week of Oktoberfest events including Bavarian food and drink, music, dance, and games. Draft beers in Oktoberfest Märzen-style hail from Bavaria's oldest breweries like Spaten, Weihenstephaner, Hofbräuhaus, accompanied by a select lineup of seasonal locally brewed beers. Café Berlin will provide authentic German fare, including grilled bratwurst, bauernwurst, bretzels und obatzter, original potato salad, gurkensalat, and sauerkraut.
- Lovettsville's Oktoberfest - September 23, 2017. In celebration of the town's German heritage, the community in Loudoun County, Virginia celebrates Oktoberfest with food, crafts, and entertainment.
- Fort Belvoir Oktoberfest - September 28-October 1, 2017, 6-10 p.m. Fremont Field, Fort Belvoir, VA. Located off of Rt. 1 in Fairfax County, Virginia, The annual festival, open to the general public, includes authentic German food and beer, carnival rides, live entertainment, kids activities and more.
- Frederick Oktoberfest - September 29-October 1, 2017. Saturday: 11 a.m.–10 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m.–6 p.m. Frederick Fairgrounds, East Patrick St., Frederick, Maryland. Huge Oktoberfest with live music, kid's games, German foods, Biergarten and family fun. Admission: $5 in advance, $10 at the gate. Children ages 2 and under are free.
- Das Best Oktoberfest - September 30, 2017. National Harbor, MD. October 14, 2017. Baltimore, MD. The festival will include over 150 unique beers, German wines and schnapps, German foods and other festival goodies, Oompah bands, live music, contests and much more. Admission: $40 an up, Children ages 12 and under are free.
- Heurich House Museum Oktoberfest - September 30-October 1, 2017, 1-4 p.m. 1307 New Hampshire Avenue NW Washington, DC. The museum will celebrate Brewmaster Chrisian Heurich’s German heritage with local beer, German-style soft pretzels, fresh grilled German sausages, sauerkraut and pickles. Dance the afternoon away with traditional Oktoberfest music and tour the historic home.
- Capitol City Brewing Company Oktoberfest - 2017 Date to Be Announced, 12-7 p.m. Shirlington Village, Arlington, VA. Sample beers from more than 65 breweries and a variety of foods, while enjoying lively German entertainment. Admission: $30, free for non-drinkers. Shirlington library will host kid’s events.
- Taste of DC - October 7-8, 2017. Saturday 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday 11 a.m.-6p.m. RFK Stadium Grounds. Lot 8, 2400 East Capitol Street, SE. Washington, D.C. New this year, the food festival features an Oktoberfest as part of its event featuring German beers, live oom-pah music, backyard games, and authentic fare like schnitzel, bratwurst and pretzels.
- Oktoberfest Reston - October 7, 2017. Reston Town Center, 11900 Market Street, Reston, Virginia. Sample the best in fall brews and traditional Oktoberfest fare provided by some of Reston's finest eateries. Live entertainment.
- Port City Oktoberfest Party - October 7, 2017, 12-9 p.m. 3950 Wheeler Ave., Alexandria, VA. Enjoy live music, food trucks, games, plenty of lager, and lots more. Hoist a Port City Oktoberfest in honor of a classic German festival.
- Oktoberfest at the Kentlands - October 8, 2017, noon – 5 p.m. Kentlands Village Green, Gaithersburg, Maryland. The City of Gaithersburg and the Kentlands Citizens Assembly sponsor this family friendly Oktoberfest featuring Bavarian music, dance, food, crafts, pony rides, moonbounces, pumpkin decorating, face painting and more.
Want to know about more beer focused events? See a guide to Annual Beer Festivals in the Washington DC Area