Capture the last remaining bits of summer in Las Vegas with a fall trip to the strip. October in Las Vegas means comfortable temperatures and more affordable hotel rates as you'll be visiting in the shoulder season. Aside from the end of the month when Halloween hits, October is prime time for those wanting to avoid the crowds in the casinos. October is also the start of hockey season and the Las Vegas Golden Knights—the newest team in the NHL—play at the T-Mobile Arena, making it a great time to visit Sin City if you're a sports fan.
Las Vegas Weather in October
By October, the sweltering summer heat has worn off and left super comfortable weather to walk around. The average low temperature is 58 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Celsius) while the high hits 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 degrees Celsius). During the day, expect lots of sunshine—the average rainfall for October was only 0.28 inches—and warm weather in the 70s Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius) weather. When the sun sets, the cool desert nights kick in and the temperature drops to the 50s Fahrenheit very quickly. October also marks the end of pool party season, but Vegas pools typically remain open until the end of the month. Because of this, you're more likely to have the pool to yourself, which is perfect for those looking for a quiet, tranquil dip over the high-octane, alcohol-infused pool parties that Las Vegas is known for.
What to Pack
Because of the broad range of temperatures in October—from the warm, sunny days to the chillier nights—it's best to pack a variety of clothing that can be layered. Bring light cotton shirts, dresses, and shorts as well as a sweater or shawl to throw on at night (or in the casinos, which usually blast the AC). If you plan on going out to a ritzy club or show, there will probably be a dress code, so bring along heels, and a nice dress, or dress shoes, slacks and a button down shirt. Glitz and glam are not just accepted but embraced with open arms in Las Vegas. So don't be afraid to go bold and rock your jewelry, sequins, and colorful outfits.
October Events in Las Vegas
There's always something going down in Sin City. In October, you'll find a long line-up of shows, concerts, and holidays to celebrate. And if none of the seasonal activities inspire you, check out the Vegas mainstays like Cirque du Soleil, Blue Man Group, or Criss Angel Mindfreak.
- A Las Vegas residency is a great way to see A-list singers and bands while you're in town. The line up changes during the year but music greats like Cher, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, and Sting have all taken the stage.
- Food lovers can't miss the Las Vegas Food & Wine Festival at the beginning of the month. Local chefs come together in the luxurious Tivoli Village to showcase their talents for one night. Guest can taste small bites from top restaurateurs and taste a variety of wines. This event is adults only and the proceeds go towards a different charitable cause each year.
- Valley of Fire State Park or Red Rock Canyon are both reasonably close and offer some fantastic natural sights during October.
- Halloween is one of the biggest parties in Las Vegas. Grab a costume and head to any hotel for a night of gambling, drinking, and partying.
- While the whole city celebrates Halloween in style, true cosplayers have to head to the Atlantis Festival held in the Las Vegas Convention Center. For two days the convention center is transformed into five themed destinations with plenty of performances, workshops, and more intricate costumes that you can fathom.
- Fans of heavy metal should make time for the Las Rageous music festival. Dozens of rock and metal bands descend on Las Vegas for three days of intimate concerts on two outdoor stages in downtown Vegas.
To learn more about traveling to Sin City during the rest of year, check out our guide on the best time to visit Las Vegas.