Are you planning a trip to the Big Apple in October and wondering what the weather is like in New York City? The cool, crisp fall air is the perfect weather for exploring the Big Apple. The crowds and heat of summer are gone and the holiday visitors have not yet descended on the city, meaning you might find yourself exploring a near-empty gallery or on a tour that's not at full capacity. October might just be the best month to visit New York City. So, shhh...don't tell anyone.
In addition to great weather, there are many events in October that make it a fun month to visit. A couple include Open House New York and the world’s largest Halloween parade.
October Weather in New York City
October is an ideal month to visit here. The weather tends to be comfortable for exploring—warm days and cool nights are perfect for walking around the city. Plus there are no drastic temperature changes as you go in and out air-conditioned attractions, museums, and stores.
- Average high: 65 F (18 C)
- Average low: 50 F (10 C)
What to Wear in October in New York City
If you’ll be visiting New York City in October, you may still be able to get away with short-sleeved shirts during the day. However, bring along a sweater or medium-weight jacket to keep you warm in the evenings. Footwear can make a break a trip, so make sure yours is comfortable for walking large city blocks or Central Park. Closed-toe and water-resistant shoes are recommended.
There are many reasons to visit the Big Apple any time of the year, but October is particularly good because, after a hot summer, the daytime weather in New York City is now perfect for enjoying walking tours and other outdoor activities. One outdoor thing you can do is to take a stroll through Central Park. With the park in the heart of the city, you don’t have to go on a Sunday drive to find beautiful red, orange, yellow, and purple fall foliage.
Another perk is that the Columbus Day holiday, which always falls on the second Monday of the month, allows some to have a three-day weekend. More perks include the Columbus Day and Halloween parades.
October Travel Pricing
Despite the perks of visiting New York City in October, there’s one drawback in particular: travel prices. As New York enters its peak travel time, expect to pay higher prices for hotels and airfare.
October Events in New York City
- Columbus Day parade: This has all the elements that make a great parade—marching bands, minor celebrities, floats—without the crowds and chaos of many other parades.
- Open House New York: This is your chance to join the throngs of New Yorkers and tourists in the know as they get to visit each borough’s spots of architectural significance that aren't usually open to the public.
- New York Wine & Food Festival: This indulgent weekend features endless events where you can sample wines, enjoy dinners hosted by celebrity chefs, and more.
- Halloween: Watch (or join!) the parade or participate in any of the city's other wonderful events, such as the Halloween Extravaganza & the Procession of the Ghouls that is held at the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine.
- Fall foliage in New York City: Whether you take a sightseeing cruise to enjoy the changing leaves or just go for a walk in one of New York City's great parks, the sights and scents of autumn are a true pleasure.