Possibly one of the best months to visit Hong Kong. The city’s legendary humidity is low and the skies are clear and blue, while the constant sunshine makes October in Hong Kong the perfect month to explore the city. Many Hong Kongers consider October and November as Hong Kong’s summer months, as the temperature gauge dips below boiling and lets locals hit the beaches and hiking trails.
October in Hong Kong is also full of wildlife, as birds take a breather on their way to warmer climes in the south. Places like Hong Kong Wetland Park are packed with flocks of migrating sandpiper and starling. If you fancy hiking Hong Kong's wilder side, this is the best month to do it. Of course with the humidity dial turned down, this is also a fantastic time to see the markets and steamy shopping streets of Mongkok or Causeway bay as well.
Weather in October Average High 80F (27C) Average Low 73F (23C)
Residents and tourists can rejoice as the Hong Kong humidity plummets, meaning everybody can go outside again. Although the humidity has gone, the clear blue skies mean plenty of sunshine and almost no rainfall.
October is luckily free of clouds. This can mean intense sun, however, for which it's advisable to pack a cap and sun cream. The sun can be very strong, even when outdoors for short periods. If you plan to hit the hiking trails in the countryside, bring mosquito repellant, and walking shoes, as well as plenty of bottled water
What to Wear
Sandals will make strolling about more pleasant, while breathable walking shoes for those who want to enjoy the more adventurous side of the Hong Kong outdoors is recommended.
A light sweater is useful as everywhere in Hong Kong is air conditioned, often like a fridge, including public transport. Light cotton T-Shirts are best for day to day wear and shorts are acceptable in public, although you'll need to pull on some trousers to enter most restaurants and better hotels.
Need to Know
October is one of Hong Kong's main conference months when thousands of delegates descend on the territory. You may find hotel room rates are higher than normal. It also means that many of the city’s hotels are filled up - book as far ahead as you can.
- The sea in October is warm, and on average reaches a very pleasant 28C. It's the ideal time to visit Hong Kong Beaches.
- The humidity finally starts to relent, making it possible to explore Hong Kong's fantastic outdoors again
- With the outdoors open again to visitors, you can see some of Hong Kong's spectacular wildlife. The New Territories and Wetland Park are a regular safari of birds and beasts.
- The almost complete lack of rain makes October one of the best months to explore Hong Kong
- Many conferences can drive hotel prices up and make finding a place to lay your head difficult
- 1st October National Day Celebrate the 58th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China, with a massive fireworks display over Victoria Harbor. There will be bands, music, and lots of noise.
- 27th October – 17th November Hong Kong Oktoberfest A now annual event in Hong Kong, The Marco Polo Hotel lays on steins, sausages and silly trousers to mark the beer drinking festival.
- 31st October Both Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park will be hosting American style extravaganzas to mark the spookiest day of the year on Halloween.