If you can move your trip back to avoid the week-long holiday around China's National Day, October 1st, then traveling in October can be one of the best months to visit. Autumn is really starting to get into full swing in central China and you'll find cooling temperatures and mild, sunny weather. Fall foliage will already be out in the north and October can be a wonderful time to visit the Great Wall.
In southern China, it will still be quite warm with temperatures in the high 70s-80s.
- Beijing: the average daytime temp is 66F (18.9C) and the average number of rainy days is 5.
- Shanghai: the average daytime temp is 73F (22.4C) and the average number of rainy days is 8.3.
- Guangzhou: the average daytime temp is 83F (28.5C) and the average number of rainy days is 6.5.
- Guilin: the average daytime temp is 78F (25.8C) and the average number of rainy days is 9.5.
October Packing Suggestions
- North: it will be cool during the day and chilly at night. A light daytime base layer with fleece or sweater layering at night is a good option.
- Central: it will be warm during the day and cooler at night. A light base for daytime and long sleeves/long pants in the evening is enough.
- South: it will still be quite warm. Late summer dressing is fine but bring something lightweight for the occasional cool evening or heavy a/c room.
Visiting China in October - Pros
- The weather is great for sight-seeing, mild and very comfortable.
- Domestic fares drop after the first week of October (National Day) so it may be a more reasonable time to travel within China.
Visiting China in October - Cons
- The first week of October is generally a week-long holiday for all Chinese workers. This translates into millions of domestic travelers on buses, trains, and planes doubling and tripling fares.
- As well as more expensive fares and hotel rooms, China's top attractions will be mobbed with site-seeing domestic tourists.
What's Happening in October
October 1st, National Day marks the beginning of a week-long holiday for workers in China. October 1 marks the founding of the PRC.
October is also peak season for fall leaf viewing. Find out where to go to see fall foliage in China.