Oktoberfest is in the air. So is Halloween. Music legends ABBA come to town (kinda), as do pop icons Marc Anthony, Justin Bieber and Rihanna (for real). And an international surfing contest hits Isabela. October is a busy month of fun on the island.
- October 3-20: There might not be a better place to celebrate Oktoberfest than at Casa Bavaria. I've visited this terrific restaurant in Orocovis, and I would recommend the trip this month in particular.
- October 3-5: Crooner and native son Marc Anthony brings his Vivir Mi Vida tour to the Coliseo in San Juan.
- October 4-6: Bike around Puerto Rico over the weekend with Around the Island, an event open to anyone who can ride a bicycle for 3 to 4 hours straight. With frequent stops for hydration and food, this is meant to be a fun activity rather than a competitive race (although bikers will be divided into advanced and beginners.
- October 10-13: The Club Deportivo del Oeste in Cabo Rojo invites big game fishermen from around the world to participate in the 25th annual Blue Marlin catch and release tournament.
- October 11-13: Middles Beach in Isabela welcomes world-class surfing with the 24th edition of the Corona Extra Pro Surf Circuit. Around 60 surfers are expected to compete for a total purse of $37,000 ($25,000 for the men, $12,000 for the women).
- October 12: Anyone like Abba? Then you won't want to miss Bjorn Again, a musical parody of the legendary Swiss band that has toured the world. They visit the Puerto Rico Convention Center on October 12.
- October 16-20: The Feria Internacional del Libro, or International Book Festival, brings booksellers from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, France, Mexico, Spain and the U.S., among other nations. The festival takes place the Puerto Rico Convention Center.
- October 17-19: The Puerto Rico Conservatory of Music hosts the 18th International Percussion Festival with local and international performers including the University of Missouri School of Music and Clave 3 Big Band.
- October 18-20: The town of Quebradillas celebrates its patron saint festival.
- October 19: The Biebs himself brings his Bieber fever to Puerto Rico for one night, as his Believe tour rolls into San Juan.
- October 19-20: The town of Peñuelas honors its patron saint, Santo Cristo de la Salud, who is believed to have saved the town from an ocean deluge. Expect live music, rides, religious processions and food kiosks.
- October 23-26: Puerto Rico's High Fashion Week dresses up the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, with international designers Custo Barcelona, Maya Hansen and Reinaldo Álvarez joining some of the island's most celebrated and accomplished designers and a new crop of up & comers.
- October 24-28: Old San Juan welcomes the international tango festival, Tango del Encanto. The event will include over milongas at numerous venues around the old city, including San Cristóbal Castle and Plaza Colón, with after-parties to follow.
- October 26: Coors Light's Circotic scares up some serious fun at San Juan's new Pier 15 (behind the convention center) with a cast of local and global acts including Snoop Dogg ready to rock Halloween.
- October 26: 99.1 FM, better known as SalSoul, hosts Salsoul... El Evento, with performances by Victor Manuelle, Richie Ray, Bobby Cruz, and Hector Tricoche, among others.
- October 27-end of month: What's more haunted than a house full of dead animals? A house full of dead animals and living monsters! At least, that's what House of Phobia at the Museo de Vida Silvestre, or Wildlife Museum.
- October 29: Barbadian beauty and pop goddess Rihanna brings her Diamonds world tour to the San Juan Coliseo.