Ocean Key Resort & Spa is a four-star hotel in downtown Key West, the final island of the Florida Keys. This tropical destination is the US mainland's southernmost locale.
Key West is reachable via a scenic, two-hour drive from Miami. Many visitors also fly into Key West, typically connecting in Miami or Fort Lauderdale.
Ocean Key's most appealing aspect is its sensational Key West location. The 100-room hotel nestles at the end of lively Duval St. and adjacent to Mallory Square, where sunset is a daily public event. The resort's garage has a gate that deposits guests right in the square.
Ocean Key's enviable setting makes it the perfect base for exploring everything that quirky, quaint downtown Key West has to offer.
Family Appeal of Ocean Key Resort
Ocean Key Resort's central location also makes it an inspired destination for families. The hotel provides an upscale experience near kid-friendly activities like the Key West trolley and pirate museums.
In spite of its proximity to Key West's tourist attractions, Ocean Key feels private and quiet, and manages to cocoon its guests from the hustle of this famous Key.
Why Stay at Ocean Key Resort?
Luxury travelers will find much to like at Ocean Key Resort:
• Classic Key West rooms with soothing décor
• A small but elegant spa, SpaTerre
• Waterfront pool and hot tub
• Two restaurants including swanky Hot Tin Roof and the outdoor Sunset Pie
Will Ocean Key Resort & Spa in Key West Be Your Style?
See if You'll Like Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key may be the right Key West hotel for you if:
• You want to be in the heart of Key West, amidst restaurants, bars, and tourist attractions
• And to be simply near Duval St. and Mallory Square isn't enough: you want to be right there
• You want to be near Key West's funky nightlife ...but you still want upscale service
• You're traveling with kids
• You'd like being able to dine right in-house on well-made, classic Key West dishes
• You prefer a hotel with an elegant spa on the premises
• You need a good hotel gym
• You'd like to stay a short walk from Key West's boating excursions and watersports
• You like simple, colorful, tropical decor
Ocean Key may not be your best Key West choice if:
• You're looking for a secluded, island-like getaway away from the hubbub of Key West
• You seek a no-doubt-about-it true luxury hotel, and will be disappointed by a four-star hotel
• Your taste runs to sleek, modern design, not to traditional décor
• You're not traveling with kids, and would prefer a child-free resort
• You have your dog in tow (no pets allowed here!)
• Your hotel must have late hours for its gym and room service
How nice are Ocean Key's rooms? >>
Guest Accommodations at Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Rooms at Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key opened in 1985 and was renovated in 2014. With 100 accommodationsWith 100 accommodations, Ocean Key qualifies as a boutique hotel. Its rooms and suites are spacious and comfortable.
• Beds are comfortable and outfitted in high-quality linens
• Décor is a quiet, lightly tropical style, with diffused sunlight and bright island touches of coral, turquoise, and green
• Charming, quirky touches include vintage birdcages and Caribbean armoires
• You get essential modern amenities like iPod/iPhone docks, big-screen TVs, in-room safes, and free wifi
• There's a minibar, but no complimentary bottled water, which is annoying
The Pick: Deluxe Oceanfront Rooms, Featuring:
• Spacious balconies that overlook Key West Harbor and Mallory Square; you can observe the shenanigans on the square's famous daily sunset celebration from your balcony
• Huge marble bathrooms with Jacuzzi soaking tubs that face the ocean, plus gigh0end, US-made Lather toiletries
Insider Tips for Ocean Key Room Selection
• Most Ocean Key rooms are quiet. But if you're on a low floor and your balcony faces the pool, you'll be privy to noise from both the pool and the outdoor restaurant
• Ocean Key is not a pet-friendly hotel. Critters are not invited
• Parking is by valet, for a nightly charge. Guests have full in-and-out car privileges.
Ocean Key Resort's SpaTerre >>
Ocean Key Resort's SpaTerre, Fitness, & Pool
SpaTerre at Ocean Key Resort & Spa
SpaTerre is a bright and sunny den of relaxation at Ocean Key Resort. SpaTerre offers a range of high-end treatments like expert massages, rejuvenating facials, and skin-renewing scrubs.
• The Ritual Bath, a tub soak filled with essential oils and rose petals, can be added to any treatment
• The deep-tissue massage I enjoyed at SpaTerre offered a choice of essential oils and took place in a treatment room outfitted with its own glass-tiled shower, a gracious touch
• There's probably no better way to kick off a relaxing weekend with your partner than to book the couple's suite, with double tables and a deep soaking tub for two
Fitness at Ocean Key Resort
Ocean Key has a well-outfitted fitness center with a variety of cardio and circuit equipment.
• However, the gym is not accessible 24 hours. It opens early (6am) but also closes early (8pm)
Pool at Ocean Key Resort & Spa
The hotel features a popular outdoor pool with ocean views.
• Private cabanas may be rented by the day or half-day
• A Jacuzzi hot tub beckons poolside
Dining & drinking at Ocean Key Resort & Spa >>
Stylish Key West Dining at Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Hot Tin Roof, Ocean Key's Likable Main Restaurant
The main restaurant at Ocean Key Resort, Hot Tin Roof, is named in honor of longtime Key West resident Tennessee Williams.
The indoor dining room has a Caribbean estate feel with dark wood floors and deep, cushy, flirtatious booths. If it's not too windy out, outdoor deck tables are equally inviting, especially at sunset.
What to Order at Hot Tin Roof
Hot Tin Roof's creative American menu offers classics with a twist, like lobster with polenta, and a colorful wild berry crumble for desert.
• Hot Tin Roof serves an a la carte breakfast. One popular morning menu item is Hot Tin Toast, coconut crusted bread with caramelized bananas
• Its lounge regularly hosts local musicians for live performances
Sunset Pier, Ocean Key's Outdoor Dining & Drinking Spot
Sunset Pier, Ocean Key's more casual dining venue, is centered on the colorful outdoor deck.
• Tables are gaily set, with kid-friendly stools and benches
• The menu is classic Key West: fish sandwiches, conch fritters, and the famed Key Lime Pie
• Diners wash it down with potent Rum Runners from Sunset Pier's popular bar
Hotel room service, available till 9:30pm, is provided by Hot Tin Roof's kitchen
Connect with Ocean Key >>
Connect with Ocean Key Resort & Spa in Key West & Check Room Rates
How to Find Out More about Ocean Key Resort
O Duval St.
Key West, Florida 33040
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing the hotel. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.