Ocean City, Maryland, with its 10 miles of white sand beaches along the Atlantic Ocean, is one of the most popular summer getaway destinations for families in the Mid-Atlantic region. The resort area is an ideal place for swimming, surfing, kite flying, sand castle building, jogging, etc. The bustling beach town is home to a wide array of amusement parks, arcades, miniature golf courses, shopping malls, an Outlet shopping center, movie theaters, go-kart tracks and the famous three-mile Ocean City Boardwalk. Following is a guide to help you plan a beach vacation in Ocean City, Maryland.
01 of 04
Places to Stay in Ocean City
A wide range of accommodations are available in Ocean City, from luxury resorts to private homes to family-friendly camping facilities. There are places to stay to fit every budget and travel style.
- Hotels - See a guide to hotels located on the boardwalk, economy and moderate hotels and suites.
- Condos and Rental Properties - See a list of real estate companies that can help you find an Ocean City vacation rental property to meet your needs.
- Campgrounds - Learn about the variety of campgrounds and RV parks that are located within a short drive from the Maryland beach town.
02 of 04
Things to Do in Ocean City
Ocean City is a vibrant beach town with endless opportunities for fun. Here are guides to the top things to do:
- Beach, Swimming, Boating, Fishing, and Parasailing - Enjoy a wide variety of water sports and family fun activities.
- Explore the Ocean City Boardwalk - The famous Boardwalk extends three miles along the Atlantic Ocean and is a great destination for shopping, dining, amusements and watching the sunset.
- Annual Events in Ocean City - See the calendar of events throughout the year ranging from family friendly beach activities to the Ocean City Air Show to arts and crafts shows to Octoberfest to holiday season's Winterfest of Lights.
- Miniature Golf Courses and Amusement Parks - Family friendly amusement centers features go kart tracks, climbing walls, bumper boats, kiddie rides, miniature golf, snack bars, arcades and more.
- Rainy Day Activities - See ideas of things to do in inclement weather
- Dining and Nightlife - Ocean City has more than 200 restaurants ranging from fast food to fine-dining. See a guide to Ocean City restaurants and dining.
- See Fireworks on the Beach - Fireworks light up the sky at the beach. Learn about the season's schedule of fireworks.
03 of 04
Maps and Transportation
Ocean City extends just over 9 miles along the Atlantic Ocean from the southern inlet to the Delaware line. The resort area is approximately 150 miles and a three hour drive from Washington DC in normal traffic. You should expect delays and heavy traffic on holidays and weekends during the summer months. Call (877) BAYSPAN for current information on traffic conditions at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
Getting to Ocean City is pretty easy, although during the summer season, traffic can get congested especially on the weekends. Plan ahead and see transportation guides to learn your way around.
Directions to Ocean City, Maryland
From the Capital Beltway, take US 50 East towards Annapolis
Cross over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge
Follow signs to continue on US 50 East to Ocean City US 50 Crosses into Ocean City at the south end of town below the Boardwalk
You may also take Route 90 which crosses the Bay and enters Ocean City at 62nd Street
- Eastern Shore Map - This map shows the resorts and towns along the Maryland Eastern Shore.
- Ocean City Public Transportation - See alternatives for public transportation.
- What You Need to Know About the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - Learn all about crossing the Bay Bridge.
04 of 04