Congratulations on your engagement! Here's what you need to know to make the marriage legal in Pennsylvania.
Time Required: 3 days
- You must be 18 years of age or over 16 years of age with parental consent. Children under 16 years of age also need written approval of a judge of the Orphans' Court Division of the Court of Common Pleas.
- Both applicants must appear together in the Marriage License Bureau of the Register of Wills Office and complete an Application for Marriage License at least three days prior to the wedding.
- Photo I.D. is required. Children under age 18 need to provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. Be sure to have your social security number handy as well!
- Applicants who have been previously married and divorced must furnish a certified copy of the Decree of Divorce and an additional $3 fee per divorce decree.
- A widow or widower must provide the date of death of their former spouse.
- Medical examination and blood test are not required.
- Persons related by blood up to and including first cousins may not marry in Pennsylvania.
- The fee for a marriage license in Allegheny County is $45. Each divorce decree presented is an additional $3, for a total cost of $48 if one applicant has a prior divorce, or $51 if both applicants have a prior divorce. Please check the Allegheny County Web site to verify current fees and regulations. CASH only!
- The Marriage License Bureau is located on the First Floor of the City-County Building, 414 Grant Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Hours (exclusive of Holidays) are Monday-Friday, 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. The office does not offer weekend hours.
- Pennsylvania law requires a three-day waiting period between the date applicants apply for a Marriage License and when the license may be issued. A Pennsylvania marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued.
- Complete the online Marriage Application Form.
- A Marriage License issued in Allegheny County may be used anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Likewise, a license issued in any other county in Pennsylvania may be used in Allegheny County.