The Miami-Dade County Health Department is responsible for maintaining death certificates for individuals who passed away in our county. There are several methods for obtaining a certified copy of a death certificate.
Note: If you are interested in obtaining these records for genealogical purposes, there are other methods available to you. For more information, see Miami, Florida Genealogy Resources.
How to Obtain a Certified Copy of a Death Certificate in Miami-Dade County
- Gather the information specified in "What you need" below.
- If you would like to make your application in person, visit one of the Health Department offices at 18680 NW 67th Avenue in North Miami, 1350 NW 14th St (Room 3) in Miami, or 18255 Homestead Avenue #113 in West Perrine.
- If you would like to apply by mail, print the application and mail it to Miami-Dade County Health Department, 1350 NW 14th Street, Room 3, Miami, FL 33125.
- If you would like to apply by telephone, call 1-866-830-1906 between 8AM and 8PM on weekdays.
- Protective certificate sleeves are available for $5
- Expedited delivery will provide you with your certificate in 3-5 business days for an additional $17.50 fee
- Expedited service will move your request through the system in less than 3 business days for an additional $10 fee.
- Expedited delivery and expedited service are NOT the same thing. If you want your certificate really fast, you need both.
- Anyone over 18 can obtain a copy of a death certificate for any individual without the cause of death listed. Death records listing the cause of death are issued only to the individual's spouse, parent, child, grandchild, or sibling; any person who has an interest in the estate (as evidenced by a will, insurance policy or other documentation); any person with evidence they are acting on behalf of one of the previously listed individuals.
What You Need
- Picture ID (valid driver's license, state identification card or military ID)
- Relationship of the applicant to the person named on the certificate
- Full name of the person named on the certificate
- Date of death of the person named on the certificate
- Place of death of the person named on the certificate
- Applicant's signature (parent or guardian if under 18)
- $10 application fee for each copy