If you were born in Miami-Dade County, the Miami-Dade County Health Department is responsible for maintaining your birth certificate. There are several methods for obtaining a certified copy of your original certificate in the event it was lost or stolen.
Note: If you are interested in obtaining these records for genealogical purposes, there are other methods available to you. For more information, see Miami, Florida Genealogy Resources.
Time Required: 3-14 Business Days
- Gather the information specified in "What you need" below.
- If you would like to make your application in person, visit one of the Health Department offices at 18680 NW 67th Avenue in North Miami, 1350 NW 14th St (Room 3) in Miami, or 18255 Homestead Avenue #113 in West Perrine.
- If you would like to apply by mail, print the application and mail it to Miami-Dade County Health Department, 1350 NW 14th Street, Room 3, Miami, FL 33125.
- If you would like to apply by telephone, call 1-866-830-1906 between 8 AM and 8 PM on weekdays.
- If you would like to apply by FAX, send your application to 1-866-602-1902.
- If you would like to apply online, visit Miami Vital Records.
- Protective certificate sleeves are available.
- Expedited delivery will provide you with your certificate in 3-5 business days for an additional fee.
- Expedited service will move your request through the system in less than 3 business days for an additional fee.
- Expedited delivery and expedited service are not the same things. If you want your certificate really fast, you need both.
- To obtain a certificate, you must be the person named on the certificate and over 18 years of age. If the person named on the certificate is under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must request the certificate.
What You Need
- Picture ID (valid driver's license, state identification card or military ID)
- Relationship of the applicant to the person named on the certificate
- Full name of the person named on the certificate
- Date of birth of the person named on the certificate
- Place of birth of the person named on the certificate
- Mother's maiden name
- Father's full name
- Applicant's signature (parent or guardian if under 18)
- $20 for the first copy and $16 for each additional copy of the same certificate