Embrace your senior status and let your age work for you! It's time to enjoy the numerous senior citizen discounts available throughout the Northeast Ohio region. There's a lot out there, if you know where to look. Here’s a brief list to help you start taking advantage of these senior citizen savings, so get out and enjoy; you’ve earned it.
The state of Ohio provides anyone 60 or older a free Golden Buckeye Card issued automatically on their 60th birthday to everyone with State ID cards or Ohio Driver’s License.
Those without an ID or license can apply for the Buckeye card at most public libraries and senior centers. The card is accepted at thousands of restaurants, retailers, services and professional offices throughout the state of Ohio. The discount ranges from 5 to 50%. Just look for the Golden Buckeye logo or ask.
This non-profit, non-partisan organization seeks to enhance the lives older Americans through social advocacy and information. With more than 35 million members, AARP is open to any person age 50 and over. Affiliates include the AARP Foundation, a charity that meets the organization’s goals by providing information and educating communities and families, and AARP Services, Inc. (ASI), deals with products, marketing, and development to maintain AARP’s effectiveness.
Discounts on Health Care and Services
- Acme Fresh Market Pharmacy and Health - Helping seniors save 10% on prescriptions and offering other health needs.
- Drug Mart - Get a 10% senior citizen discount on purchases while taking care of multiple errands from buying stamps to Western Union Money Orders and use your Golden Buckeye and Silver Cards on prescriptions & Drug Mart label health and beauty items.
- Healthwise Connection- Cleveland Clinic Health System - A free membership service open to everyone 50 years old and better that serves to maintain and enhance healthy living through prescription programs, newsletters, physician referral service, and many other services. Also visit their Senior Circle Plus program.
- Marriott Hotels - For those 62 years or older, save at least 15% on your room rate at more than 2,000 Marriott hotels worldwide. Your Marriott senior hotel discount is available weekdays or weekends, seven days a week.
- Shady Oaks Farm Bed and Breakfast - A beautiful place to rest a night or plan an extended stay, Shady Oaks provides seniors 5% off room rate 1st & 2nd night and 10% off on the 3rd day and each day after. Located at 241 Highland Road, Northfield Center, Ohio 44067, Summit County Phone: 800-785-9769
- Super 8 Motel - Mature travelers 60+ can enjoy the simple pleasures of Super 8 Motel stay and receive a 10% discount at most locations. Be sure to call in advance as blackout dates, availability, and other restrictions may apply.
- Applebee’s - Applebee’s offers the Golden Apple Card for anyone age 55 or older which gets you 10% off your meal. With a diverse menu from beefy steaks to healthy eats, this restaurant is great for any time you crave a good meal. Visit the website to find your local restaurant.
- Denny’s - Catering to their 55 and older guests, Denny’s offers a discounted senior menu available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
A large number of area museums and attractions offer a discount to older visitors.
The amount of the discount varies as does the age requirement. Below are just some of the more popular area attractions that offer a senior discount:
- Western Reserve Historical Society
- Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum
- Cleveland Museum of Contemporary Art
- Cleveland Museum of Natural History
- Holden Arboretum
- James A. Garfield Historic Site
- USS Cod
- Akron Zoo
- Hale Farm
- Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage
- Pro Football Hall of Fame
- The Canton Classic Car Museum
- Great Lakes Science Center
- The National Packard Museum
Both Cedar Point and Geauga Lake Amusement Parks offer a substantial discount for visitors over 62 years of age.