New York City is home to one of the most famous hometown rivalries in baseball -- between the New York Yankees and the New York Mets. You can even experience the passionate hometown fans of both sides if you attend a Subway Series game (the nickname given to games between the NY Yankees and NY Mets).
If you're looking for more low-key baseball action, you might enjoy checking out New York City's minor league teams -- the Brooklyn Cyclones and the Staten Island Yankees!
01 of 04
Originally called the Highlanders, the New York Yankees have played American League baseball in New York City since 1903. The Yankees have won 26 World Series and play at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
Getting to Yankee Stadium
- Subway: 4 or D to 161st Street/Yankee Stadium. Travel time is about 25 minutes from Grand Central Station.
- Metro-North Directions: Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line trains stop at Yankees/E. 153rd Street Station. Full details: Yankee Game Day Schedules.
- Driving Directions: Yankee Stadium is located just off the Major Deegan Expressway (I-87). Driving directions & parking details.
- Tour Yankee Stadium for $20.
New York Yankees Tickets
02 of 04
Since 1962, the New York Mets have been playing National League baseball in New York City. The Mets won their first World Series in 1969 and a second in 1986. The New York Mets play at Citi Field in Flushing, Queens.
Directions to Citi Field
- By Subway: Take the 7 to Mets-Willets Point station. Travel time is about 30 minutes.
- By LIRR (Long Island Railroad): Take the LIRR to Mets-Willets Point station from Penn Station. Travel time is about 30 minutes.
- Driving: Citi Field is located near the Grand Central Parkway, the Long Island Expressway and the Whitestone Expressway. For details, consult the Citi Field Driving and Parking directions.
New York Mets Tickets
03 of 04
If you're making the trip to Coney Island, catch some Class A Minor League Baseball action with the Brooklyn Cyclones at MCU Park from June through September. Tickets are reasonably priced, and MCU Park offers a great view, as well as a convenient location near Coney Island's attractions.
Directions to Keyspan Park
- By Subway: D/F or N/Q train to the last stop, Coney Island/Stillwell Avenue.
- Driving: MCU Park is located in Coney Island just off the Belt Parkway. For details, consult the MCU Driving and Parking directions.
Brooklyn Cyclones Tickets
04 of 04
Baseball fans thinking of including a ride on the Staten Island Ferry during their New York City vacation might want to check out the Class A Minor League Staten Island Yankees game before catching the ferry back to downtown Manhattan.
Directions to Richmond County Bank Ballpark
- By Subway: 4/5 to Bowling Green, R/W to Whitehall Station, or 1 to South Ferry, then a 25-minute ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Exit from the upper deck and follow signs to the ballpark.
- Driving: Richmond County Bank Ballpark is located in St. George, Staten Island just off the Staten Island Expressway (I-278). For details, consult the Driving directions.
Staten Island Yankees Tickets