The City of Falls Church, Virginia, rings in 2018 with a free family-oriented event, the Watch Night New Year’s Eve spectacular, now in its 20th year. Billed as a "Big Night in the Little City of Falls Church," this celebration is frequently rated as one of the best things to do in the Washington, D.C. metro area on New Year's Eve. Its wide array of live entertainment, performances, and interactive activities appeal to all ages, with Gary LaPorta and Jeffrey Garafalo directing the festivities this year as the masters of ceremonies.
Just before midnight, they begin the New Year countdown accompanied by the lowering of the brightly lit Falls Church historic star, the city's first holiday decoration from its first year as an incorporated city in 1948.
Watch Night New Year's Eve Highlights
- At the Grand FunAlley located between Park Avenue, North Maple Avenue, North Washington Street and the 100 block of West Broad Street, kids activities include a Velcro wall; karaoke; professional face painters and caricature artists; balloon artists; a Tiger Belly Moonbounce, slides, and other inflatables; magic shows; a new climbing wall; a new bungee jump; and dance lessons.
- Take a commemorative photo with family and friends at the 16-by-6-foot LOVEwork sculpture at the corner of Washington and Broad Streets (Route 29 and Route 7).
- Live music will be performed by multiple bands, including Sudden M Pac on the main stage from 10:30 p.m. to midnight performing classic R&B hits; the Alpha Dog Blues Band, with hard-driving Chicago-style electric blues; and the Eastern All-Star Jazz Quintet, composed of young musicians from the D.C. metro area. Other performances will cover rock 'n' roll; big band; 1850s; roots; fiddle; swing; and 1930s, '40s, and 50's tunes.
- The Victorian Society at Falls Church will re-enact the life of Victorians 100 years ago, during 1917 prior to the USA’s entry to WWI, from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Cherry Hill Farmhouse.
- Local restaurants will offer special Walking Watch Night menus featuring items that are easy to carry. Food trucks will also be on hand. Don't forget to get some free hot chocolate, soup, and popcorn.
- Other attractions include free tours of historic Falls Church with costumed guides from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., a scavenger hunt, obstacle courses, firepits, and free noisemakers for the countdown.
Watch Night New Year's Eve Details
When: December 31, 2017, 7 p.m. to midnight
Where: 101 W. Broad Street at the intersection of Washington Street (Route 29). All venues are within a four-block, pedestrian-friendly area closed to traffic for the event.
Transportation: A free shuttle bus runs every 30 minutes from the East Falls Church Metro Station to the venues from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Free parking is available at the Falls Church Presbyterian Church at 225 East Broad Street, at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center at 201 North Washington Street, and at the Falls Church Episcopal Church on the corner of South Washington Street and East Fairfax Street.