Looking for New Year’s Eve fireworks in the Washington, D.C. area? There are plenty of lively ways to celebrate in the nation’s capital (see a guide to New Year's Eve events in D.C.), but if you have your heart set on ringing in the year with a brilliant display of fireworks, you will have to head out to the suburbs in Maryland or Northern Virginia. The following places host some of the most spectacular parties in the region, beginning with live entertainment and culminating with a colorful display of pyrotechnics at midnight.
- Alexandria, VA – First Night Alexandria – The family friendly New Year’ Eve celebration features musical performances at dozens of indoor venues in Old Town Alexandria. The event finale, at midnight, includes a beautiful display of fireworks over the Potomac River. The best views are from anywhere along the Potomac River waterfront. Tickets are required to attend the indoor performances.
- Annapolis, MD - New Year’s Annapolis - The City Dock comes to life with a wide range of musical entertainment. The celebration includes two fireworks displays, an early show at 7:30 p.m. for families and early-risers and a traditional midnight spectacular to ring in the new year. The best viewing areas are aboard a boat in the city harbor, from Susan Campbell Park and along Main Street. Other suggested areas include public spaces northeast of the Severn River, any of the street-end parks facing Spa Creek. No tickets are required.
- Baltimore, MD - Baltimore New Year's Eve Spectacular - Ring in the new year with a bang in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Many restaurants offer spectacular views and host special events. There will be live music and entertainment at the Inner Harbor Amphitheatre from 9 p.m to 12:30 a.m. The best views are aboard a cruise or anywhere within close range of the harbor. The fireworks display and live entertainment are free.
- Winchester, VA – First Night Winchester - The largest family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley features live entertainment throughout the evening. Performances include folk, jazz, bluegrass, oldies, puppet shows, kids events and more. Local restaurants offer discounts in First Taste of Winchester. At midnight, the community welcomes in the New Year with the official “Apple Drop” and midnight fireworks display. The best views are from the Loudoun Street Mall. Tickets are required to attend the indoor performances.
- Williamsburg, VA – First Night Williamsburg - The family-oriented New Year's Eve celebration includes performing arts throughout the City and on the campus of the College of William & Mary. Entertainment includes music, magicians, storytellers, puppeteers, jugglers, clowns, bands, and more. The children's show runs from 3-7:30 p.m. Fireworks are held at William and Mary’s Zable Stadium. The closest parking is available at the Lot at College Terrace and Richmond Road. Tickets are required to attend the indoor performances.
More About the Holidays in the Capital Region
- Best 10 Ways to Celebrate the Holidays in Washington. D.C.
- Great Holiday Getaways Near Washington, D.C.