The National Theatre in Washington, DC, a 1,676-seat Federal-style theater, produces Broadway-level plays and musicals. The theater is the oldest playhouse in the United States and has operated in the same location since 1835. Hundreds of celebrated stars have performed at the National Theatre including: Helen Hayes, John Barrymore, Joan Rivers, Carol Channing, Vivien Leigh, Laurence Olivier, Pearl Bailey, Sarah Bernhardt, Spencer Tracy, and Katharine Hepburn.
Every president and First Lady since 1835 have attended performances here as well.
- Fun Home - April 18 – May 13, 2017. Every once in a while a Broadway musical comes along that surprises, moves and excites audiences in ways only a truly landmark musical can. The “ground-breaking,” “life-affirming,” and “exquisite” new musical won five 2015 Tony® Awards including Best Musical. Based on Alison Bechdel’s best-selling graphic memoir, Fun Home introduces us to Alison at three different ages as she explores and unravels the many mysteries of her childhood.
- RENT - June 20 – 25, 2017. A re-imagining of Puccini's La Bohème, RENT follows an unforgettable year in the lives of seven artists struggling to follow their dreams without selling out. With its inspiring message of joy and hope in the face of fear, this timeless celebration of friendship and creativity reminds us to measure our lives with the only thing that truly matters – love.
National Theatre Tickets
Tickets are available at www.thenationaldc.org or by calling the subscription hotline at (855) 486-2516. Group sales are also available by calling (844) 626-8090.
The National Theatre Box Office is located at 1321 Pennsylvania Avenue NW and is open Monday-Friday, Noon – 6 p.m.
Discount Tickets: A $25 ticket lottery us available for all Broadway at the National performances.
Two hours prior to every performance show time, individuals may submit their names to be drawn to purchase up to two tickets. Names will be announced thirty minutes after the entry period (90 minutes prior to the show). Individuals must be present, with cash, to redeem the offer.
Free Performances at the National Theatre
- Saturday-morning children's theater
- Monday-night showcases of local performers (September through May)
- Summer cinema (a variety of films)
1321 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Closest Metro Station: Metro Center
See a map
The National Theatre is located in the heart of Washington, DC, just three blocks from The White House. Many restaurants, hotels and shops are located in the neighborhood surrounding the theater. Find restaurants in Washington, DC’s theater district.
Parking Lots Near the National Theatre
PMI - 1220 E Street, NW
PMI -1325 G Street, NW
QUICK PARK I - 1301 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
QUICK PARK II - 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
COLONIAL PARKING - 1201 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
CARRPARK - 1450 F Street, NW