From the creepy and shriek-inducing to the family-oriented activities, the Oklahoma City metro area has a number of excellent Halloween events. One of them is just down the road in Mustang. Between 4,000 and 6,000 visitors enjoy the annual Mustang Spooktacular Halloween Carnival and Festival. The event has been held at a number of locations over the years since its creation by Mustang's Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanas and local businesses.
Today, Spooktacular is organized by the city's Parks and Recreation Department. Intended for kids 11 and under, iIt includes games, petting zoo, train rides, haunted house, inflatables, food vendors and more.
Admission is absolutely free, as are all the games and activities, but visitors are asked to bring a canned good or box item for the Kiwanis Food Bank. Kids are encouraged to wear their costumes, but organizers advise dressing appropriately for an outdoor event.
2017 Date and Time:
The 2017 Mustang Spooktacular takes place Oct. 28 from 5-8 p.m.
Location and Directions:
Spooktacular is at the Mustang Town Center, or more accurately just outside of it at Wild Horse Park, located at 1201 North Mustang Road.
From Oklahoma City, take I-40 west and exit southbound on Highway 4 (Exit 138). Highway 4 is Mustang Road and the park is on the west side of the road about 5 miles south of I-40.
Events and Activities:
In addition to a petting zoo and a haunted house, Spooktacular features:
- Carnival Booths - About 40 games are available, and players can win candy or small prizes.
- Booville - This special area is just for the little ones. It has games and activities for children under 5.
- Inflatables - Moon bounce and more
- Train Rides - Hop on and ride through the park.
- Life-sized Monopoly Game
- Fairy Tale Lane - My Princess’ Anna and Ella appear and kids enjoy activities and other storybook characters. Photos with the princesses are available for a fee.
- Concessions - Though all the activities are free, bring some money for food and drinks. Highlights include Orange Leaf and Big Truck Tacos.
Sponsors and Contact:
Spooktacular sponsors include Orange Leaf, Bank of Commerce, Academy of Dance Arts, Cornerstone Bank, OEMA, First National Bank and Trust, Tinker Federal Credit Union, Westpointe, Whataburger, Oklahoma Environmental Management Authority, Mustang Times and Mustang News.
For more event information, contact the Mustang Parks and Recreation Department at (405) 376-3411