The Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens, reopened its doors in January 2011 to the magic, history, technology, and art of movies and all moving pictures. It is a great museum with a balance of hands-on activities and exhibits that will interest youngsters and adults. On the weekends enjoy movie screenings in the movie theater.
The first floor has the Museum of the Moving Image gift shop, a cafe, and the entrance to the movie theater.
The upper floors house the permanent exhibits and changing exhibits.
The newly expanded space can be confusing. Ask directions. I recommend you start on the third floor.
Museum of the Moving Image Exhibits:
Become part of the movie-making experience through interactive exhibits:
- Dub your own voice into a classic movie scene, like Dorothy in the Land of Oz.
- Add sound effects to a movie scene. Try to turn Independence Day into a crass comedy.
- Make a short film of yourself dancing. Get it printed into a flip book at the gift shop.
- Create a stop-motion animation and download it at home.
Movie Screenings at the Museum of the Moving Image:
Classics and other interesting films are shown each weekend, and some weekdays, in the movie theater and smaller screening room at the Museum of the Moving Image.
- Screenings are free with regular admission to the Museum (see below).
- Movie screening schedule
Online Exhibits - Museum of the Moving Image:
The museum maintains other archival websites:
- The Living Room Candidate
TV commercials of presidential campaign ads from 1952-2008.
- Moving Image Source
Articles and more on films, TV, and digital media by actors, creative figures, critics, and scholars. Includes the Pinewood Dialogues, recorded conversations with directors and actors, including Martin Scorsese and Mike Nichols.
Hours and Admission - Museum of the Moving Image:
- Tuesday to Thursday: 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday: 10:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 10:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Monday: closed
- free - $10 adults, $5 (kids 5-18), $7.50 seniors/college students
- For group and school visits, call 718-777-6820
- Entrance is always free on Fridays, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Museum of the Moving Image Address and Phone Number:
The Museum of the Moving Museum is located in Astoria, just where the neighborhood meets Long Island City. It's a close walk to the subway and many restaurants. Next door to the Museum is the Kaufman Astoria Studios where movies and television shows are filmed.
- 35th Avenue at 37th Street
- Astoria, NY 11106
- 718-777-6888 - For wheelchair accessibility information.
- Google's map to museum
Food and Drink:
The Museum of the Moving Image's Cafe serves sandwiches, snacks, coffee, and drinks. It is convenient and clean.
The surrounding neighborhood offers extremely diverse dining options. Within 10 blocks there are Italian and Greek bakeries, and restaurants offering cuisine from Bangladesh, Ecuador, Thailand, Mexico, Greece, Brazil, and the Mideast. See more about restaurants in Astoria.
Across the street, the restaurant 5 Napkin Burger is a great choice. The food is good and service is quick. Though it might be a little pricey for bringing the kids, the convenience makes it worth it.
Arharn Thai Restaurant (32-05 36 Ave) is a good choice for a casual meal. Entrees are $7-$12 with fried fish specials more expensive.
Driving Directions to Museum of the Moving Image:
- RFK Bridge (Triborough Bridge): Exit at 31st St (first exit in Queens). Go right onto 31st St (under subway). At 35th Ave, turn left and continue to 37th St.
- Grand Central (west): Exit at Hoyt Ave (last exit in Queens). Turn left onto 31st Street (under subway). Turn left onto 35th Ave and continue to 37th Street.
- BQE (west): Exit at Northern Blvd and go left (west) on Northern. Turn right onto 35th Ave (intersection at 45 degree angle) and continue to 37th St.
Parking at the Museum of the Moving Image:
In the mid-2000s the area around the museum suddenly came to life with a big influx of new residents. Parking spots are the only casualty. It's difficult to find (metered) street parking. Try the rooftop lot at the nearby UA Kaufman Astoria movie theater (35-30 38th St).
Your best bet is to leave the car at home and take public transportation.
Getting to the Museum of the Moving Image by Subway and Bus:
- Take the R or M subways (weekdays only for the M) to Steinway St (at Broadway). Walk south on Steinway to 35th Ave. Turn right and walk west to the museum entrance at 37th St.
- Take the N or Q subways (weekdays only for the Q) to 36th Ave (at 31st St). Walk north to 35th Ave. Turn right and walk east to the museum entrance at 37th St.
- From Manhattan, take the Q101 to 35th Ave. Walk west on 35th Ave to the museum entrance at 37th St.
- From Flushing, take the Q66 to Steinway St at 35th Ave. Walk west on 35th Ave to the museum entrance at 37th St.