A convenient and inexpensive way of getting from Mumbai to Goa is by train, via the Konkan Railway. It's much more comfortable than the bus and the scenery is more spectacular. If you take an overnight train, you'll be there the next morning. The average travel time is 12 hours. Book early though, as space fills up fast.
What You Should Know
- The main railway station in Mumbai is the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) near the Fort area of south Mumbai. Its code is CST.
- Trains to Goa also depart Mumbai from Lokmanyatilak Terminus, which is in Kurla, in the north eastern suburbs of Mumbai.
- The main railway station in Goa is Madgaon, also known as Margao (MAO). It's located in south Goa. If you're traveling to the north Goa beaches, try to get a train that stops at Thivim (THVM).
Best Mumbai Goa Trains
- The fastest train from Mumbai to Goa is the new 22119 Mumbai CST - Karmali Tejas Express "luxury" semi-high speed train, which completes the trip in 8.5 hours. It commenced operating in May 2017 and runs during the day. The train departs Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 5 a.m. and reaches Karmali (after Pernem and Thivim) in north Goa at 1.30 p.m. Karmali is the train's only stop in Goa. The train usually runs five days a week -- Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. However, it reduces the three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday) during the monsoon season, from June until October. It also runs at a much slower speed during the monsoon season, adding a couple of hours travel time to the trip. The fare in AC Executive class is 2,975 rupees. AC Chair class is 1,500 rupees. Special features include tea and coffee vending machines, bio-vacuum toilets, LCD TVs, wireless Internet, GPS-based information display system, and automatically opening doors. See train information. The train is expected to replace the daytime 11085 Mumbai LTT - Madgaon AC Double Decker Express, which has received a poor response from passengers.
- If you don't mind an early start, the 12051 Jan Shatabdi Express from Dadar Central to Madgaon in south Goa is similarly fast and also runs during the day. It's a "people's" Shatabdi train though, so don't expect the normal Shatabdi train perks. This train is for budget travelers. However, what's particularly noteworthy is that a new and unique luxury Vistadome carriage, with glass roof and wide windows, was attached to the train in September 2018. The train departs at 5.25 a.m. and arrives in Madgaon at 2.05 p.m. It also stops at Thivim in north Goa. The fare for the AC Executive Class Vistadome carriage is 2,234 rupees. AC Chair (chair car, seated, air conditioned) is 945 rupees. 2S (second class, seated, non-air conditioned) is 270 rupees. The train runs every day. You'll find that there are usually seats available in second class long after first class and all other trains to Goa are waitlisted. However, comfort is an issue. See train information. Discover what it's like to travel on the Jan Shatabdi train.
- The most popular overnight train from Mumbai to Goa is the 10111 Konkankanya Express. It departs Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 11.05 p.m. and arrives at Madgaon at 10.45 a.m. the next morning. It also stops at Pernem and Thivim in north Goa. The fare in 1AC (first class, air conditioned, sleeper) is 2,590 rupees. 2A (two tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,530 rupees. 3A (three tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,060 rupees. SL (three tier, non air conditioned, sleeper) is 390 rupees. The train runs every day. See train information.
- Another more time consuming option, which requires a day of travel, is the 10103 Mandovi Express. It departs Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus at 7.10 a.m. and arrives at Madgaon at 6.45 p.m. It also stops at Pernem and Thivim in north Goa. The fares are the same as for the Konkankanya Express, and this train also runs every day. See train information.
Other Mumbai to Goa Trains
There are a few other sleeper trains that run from Mumbai to Goa, but their timetable isn't the most convenient. For more information, see the Indiarailinfo.com website.
Note About Travel During the Monsoon Season
A monsoon timetable operates from mid June until the end of October each year.
Many trains depart an hour or two earlier than usual to account for delays as a result of reduced travel speed for safety reasons. You can expect the trip to take at least two or three hours longer.
Trains Fully Booked?
The bus is the other cheap alternative. Find out where you can make an Online Bus Ticket Booking from Mumbai to Goa.
Trains from Goa to Mumbai
If you're planning on taking the train back to Mumbai, here are the best options from Goa to Mumbai.