What You Should Know
- The main railway station in Bangalore is Bangalore City Junction (SBC).
- Trains from Mumbai also arrive in Bangalore at Yesvantpur Junction train station (about 10 kilometers northwest of the Bangalore city center) and Krishnarajapuram (about 15 kilometers northeast of the Bangalore city center).
- The main railway station in Mumbai is Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) near the Fort area of south Mumbai. Its code is CST. However, trains to Bangalore also depart from Dadar Station (in central Mumbai) and Lokmanya Tilak Terminus in Kurla (north eastern suburbs of Mumbai).
Best Mumbai to Bangalore Trains
- The most convenient train from Mumbai to Bangalore is the 11301 Udyan Express mail train. It departs Mumbai CST at 8.05 a.m. and arrives at Bangalore City Junction at 8.50 a.m. the next morning. The fare in 1AC (first class, air conditioned, sleeper) is 3,400 rupees. 2A (two tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,990 rupees. 3A (three tier, air conditioned, sleeper) is 1,370 rupees. SL (three tier, non air conditioned, sleeper) is 505 rupees. The train runs every day and is on average 30 minutes late. It doesn't have a pantry car though, and cleanliness and ticket availability are average. See train information.
- The other option that runs daily is the 11013 Mumbai LTT-Coimbatore Express. It departs Lokmanya Tilak Terminus in Kurla at 10.35 p.m. and arrives at Bangalore City Junction at 9.50 p.m. the next day. Cleanliness and punctuality are average. The train is often an hour or so late in reaching Bangalore, although ticket availability is good. It has a pantry car. The fares are the same as for the Udyan Express. See train information.
- The 16339 Mumbai CST-Nagercoil Express is also a decent option that runs four days a week (Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday). It departs Mumbai CST at 12.10 p.m. and arrives at Krishnarajapuram at 10.28 a.m the next day. Punctuality is average, as the train can be an hour late. There's a pantry car, and cleanliness and ticket availability are good. The fares are the same as for the trains above (although this train does not have 1AC). See train information.
- The Chalukya Express mail train departs Dadar Station at 9.30 p.m. and arrives at Yesvantpur Junction at 9.30 p.m. the next night. The train runs as the 11021 Dadar-Tirunelveli Chalukya Express on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. On Sunday, Monday and Friday it runs as the 11005 Dadar-Puducherry Chalukya Express. The fare in 2A is 2,040 rupees. 3A is 1,400 rupees. SL (three tier, non air conditioned, sleeper) is 520 rupees. Punctuality is excellent and the train often reaches Bangalore early. It doesn't have a pantry car. See train information.
Other Mumbai to Bangalore Trains
There are many other sleeper trains that run from Mumbai to Bangalore. These trains can be found here, or by searching the Indian Railways website. However, the trains listed above are the fastest, most convenient, and most reliable.
For more information, see How to a Make Reservation on Indian Railway Trains.