Unlike cities such as Bangalore and Pune, the microbrewery and brewpub business has been slow to get underway in Mumbai, mainly due to expensive real estate and unclear laws. However, it's been catching up over the last few years, with numerous new entrants. Here's the pick of them.
01 of 07
Much-loved Toit Brewpub, from Bangalore, opened where Blue Frog used to be in Mumbai in late November 2017. Tucked away in a redeveloped mill compound in south Mumbai, this trendy new brewery has left no traces of the previous iconic live music venue. The funky new design lets plenty of light in and has elements from the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu. The elaborate menu features six signature beers on tap, as well as cocktails for those who'd prefer something different. Plus, food with a south Indian twist. The crowd is young and lively, and the music up-beat.
- Address: Mathuradas Mill Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai.
- Phone: 93245 55223 (cell).
- Opening Hours: Noon until 1 a.m.
- In-House Brews: Dark Knight (an interesting dry stout), Colonial Ale (a pub classic pale English ale), Toit Red (a full-bodied Irish red ale), Toit Weiss (a full-bodied Bavarian wheat beer from Germany), TinTin Toit (a Belgian-style fruity ale), and Basmati Blonde (a light malt ale, named... after a type of Indian rice).
02 of 07
Mumbai's first brewpub, the Barking Deer opened in late 2013 after a lengthy two year process to obtain the necessary brewing license (a feat considered impossible by many in the city). It relaunched itself as the curiously named Super Happy Pop-Up, with a cheery new look and menu, in October 2017. Try the beer fondue! Head there for a delicious Sunday brunch featuring unlimited craft beer paired with world cuisine.
- Address: Mathuradas Mill Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai. (Next to Toit Brewpub).
- Phone: (22) 39966001.
- Opening Hours: Noon until 1.30 a.m.
- In-House Brews: Flying Pig Belgian Wit (a tangy wheat beer brewed in traditional Belgian witbier style and spiced with coriander, cumin, and lime), Bark IPA (an English-style India pale ale that's made with plenty of hops and caramel malt, and is rather an acquired taste), Bombay Blonde (a light and refreshing pale ale that's easy to drink, and ideal for moving from commercial to craft brews), Honey Bee... Braggot (a Belgian witbier infused with honey for plenty of sweetness), and Fallen Angel (a chocolate stout).
03 of 07
The White Owl Brewery and Bistro
The White Owl, Mumbai's second functional brewpub, got its brewing license in October 2014 (although it opened a year earlier). Its craft beer is served in distinctive jars with white owl eyes on them. The garage-like premises has exposed brickwork and an old bicycle hanging on a wall. It's hip and free-spirited, and is frequented by young professionals. Wholesome modern European cuisine is served, and some of it is quite creative. Try the craft beer popsicle! Special events and party nights are often held. However, if you want a night at home with friends, the White Owl has started offering take-home 5 liter kegs of beer.
- Address: One Indiabulls Center, Tower 2 Lobby, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai.
- Phone: (22) 24210231.
- Opening Hours: Noon until 1.30 a.m. Happy hours from 12.30 a.m until 7 p.m., daily.
- In-House Brews: Started with Halcyon (a very popular German Hefeweizen unfiltered wheat bear with banana and clove flavors), Shadow (an English Porter with strong smokey... coffee and chocolate flavors), Torpedo (a citrus flavored American pale ale), and Diablo (and Irish red ale). Has since expanded to include Bumble (a honey blonde), Ace (a French apple cider), Spark (a Belgian wit), Alfie (a mango infused ale), Paulina (a German kolsch pale beer), and Outlander (a new Munich-style lager).
04 of 07
Brewbot was the first brewpub to open in Mumbai's suburbs, in September 2014 (although it didn't get the necessary brewing license to serve its craft beers until mid 2015). It's named after a friendly robot that's been deployed to save the world with craft beers. The two level venue is versatile, with outdoor alfresco area, grunge-themed main bar and dining area, and upstairs performance space. Events regularly take place there. The new menu features a yummy array of American and European dishes. Don't miss the awesome value BOT'mless Sunday brunch!
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Address: G-01 and 101, Morya Landmark 1, off New Link Road, Veera Desai Industrial Estate, Andheri West, Mumbai.
- Phone: (22) 39698091.
- Opening Hours: 4 p.m. until 1 a.m.
- In-House Brews: Botwork Orange (a Belgian wit), Floating Head (a German Hefeweizen), Skywalker (a German kolsch pale beer from Cologne), Mojo Rising (an American-style Midwestern pale ale), and Black Mamba (a chocolate oat cream stout, created by... American brewmaster Julie Baggett).
05 of 07
Launched in December 2015, The Pump Room calls itself a beer factory rather than a microbrewery. Its 5,000 square feet of space makes it the largest brewpub in Mumbai and it has a super long bar. The interiors are rustic, with wooden flooring and plenty of bar stools. Party on into the night with DJs and bands performing regularly (go on Thursday nights for live music). Instead of cocktails, try the beertails!
- Address: Kotia Nirman, Ground Floor, New Link Road, Next to Fun Republic, Andheri West, Mumbai.
- Phone: (22) 69900990.
- Opening Hours: Noon until 1 a.m. There are happy hours during the week until 8 p.m.
- In-House Brews: German Hefeweizen, Irish Stout, English Pale Ale and British Red Ale.
06 of 07
Doolally Taproom microbrewery first opened in Pune, around 3 hours from Mumbai in Maharashtra, in 2009. It brought its popular selection of craft beers to Mumbai in early 2015, first launching in Bandra and then Andheri West. Another outlet opened in Kemp's Corner, in south Mumbai, in mid 2016. The laid-back and minimalist, yet buzzing, taprooms attract a young crowd. They're pet friendly, and have heaps of board games and books. There are quiz nights on Wednesdays too. The founder's aim is to be the biggest Indian craft beer brand. While the beer isn't brewed on the taproom premises (it's transported from Pune in barrels), there are plans to start a microbrewery in Mumbai.
- Address: 5/6 Geleki, ONGC Colony, Bandra Reclamation, Mumbai. C18-21 Dalia Industrial Estate, Near Fun Republic Mall, off New Link Road, Andheri West, Mumbai. 135 Kwality House, August Kranti Marg, Kemp’s Corner, Mumbai.
- Opening Hours: 7 a.m until 1 a.m. Yes, you can have beer with your breakfast... (or breakfast with your beer)!
- In-House Brews: Apple Cider (made with apples from Himachal Pradesh), Hefeweizen (Doolally's signature cloudy unfiltered wheat beer made with German wheat) and Oatmeal Stout (a creamy classic British stout made with 25% oats).
07 of 07
With the opening of the Independence Brewing Company's taproom in early October 2016, the western suburb of Andheri has fast evolved into craft beer central in Mumbai. Independence Brewing Company is one of Pune's finest microbreweries and its arrival in Mumbai has been long awaited. The understated wood and metal decor resembles that of the Pune brewpub. However, the concise food menu consists mainly of appetizers, shared plates, and pizza. Unlike other taprooms and brewpubs in Mumbai, this one is devoted solely to serving craft beer. Don't expect to get any other alcoholic beverages there.
- Address: B41 Boolani Estate, Unit 001 and 101, opposite Citi Mall, New Link Road, Andheri West, Mumbai.
- Opening Hours: 1 p.m. until 1.30 a.m.
- In-House Brews: Belgian Wit, Hefeweizen, Hoppy Blonde Ale, Bourbon Oak Aged Brown Ale, Four Grain Saison (slightly spicy pale ale made with barley, wheat, rye and oats, and fermented with Saison yeast), Ixcacao (a chocolate vanilla stout), and Method... to Madness IPA (a hoppy ale brewed especially for the Mumbai launch. It's pleasantly bitter with hints of citrus, pine and earth).