Founded in 1912, M.S. Rau Antiques in New Orleans is one of the most respected and best-known antiques dealers in the United States. M.S. Rau is set in the French Quarter, where its 25,000 square feet of galleries are a museum of dreams for New Orleans visitors
The Kinds of Treasures You Can Buy
The merchandise is exquisitely high-end, and the range is enormous.
M.S. Rau deals in a vast variety of antiques from al over the world. But the shop is best known for these coveted objects:
- Paintings by Rubens, van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Gauguin, Picasso
- Fabulous decorative objects like Fabergé eggs and Tiffany art glass
- Major jewelry like the breathtaking 10.06-carat Fancy Blue Diamond shown
- Rare fossils like a 100-million-year-old dinosaur skeleton of a beaked Psittacosaurus
- American antiques like Chippendale furniture and Tiffany glass and silver
- One-of-a-kind historical objects like a telescope owned by Napoleon Bonaparte, Elvis Presley's "sword cane," and the King of Italy's throne chair
Unique 125%-Back Return Policy
M.S. Rau is now in its third generation of Rau family ownership, and its non-corporate soul is revealed in its one-of-a-kind return policy: Any purchase can be brought back for a 125% store credit, or a quarter more than you paid. (Certain conditions apply)
This treasure chest of a store is catnip to antique collectors from all over the world. Among its buyers are some of Hollywood's most tasteful celebrities.
Famous repeat customers include Martha Stewart, Barbra Streisand, Oprah Winfrey, Tommy Hilfiger, Russell Brand, Sylvester Stallone, and Whoopi Goldberg (who loves browsing the store’s 2,000-item website).
Regular buyer Nicolas Cage says this about M.S. Rau: it's "nothing less than the finest antiques gallery in the world, where every piece is a masterful work of art and in flawless, museum-quality condition."
Fantasyland: Big Diamonds Sold
Sometimes you want to give, or buy yourself, a very special piece of jewelry. A world-class bijou, M.S. Rau is known for its estate jewelry and gems. Some incomparable stones that have passed through M.S. Rau's hands:
- The 12.27-carat Majestic Pink Diamond
- The 10.06-carat Royal Blue Diamond
- Diamond-and-emerald cross and diamond-and-ruby ring of Pope Paul VI (1963-1978)
- The 8.03-carat, marquise-cut Golconda, the world’s whitest diamond
- The 18.50-carat Untreated Kashmir Sapphire Ring
- The 4.71-carat "Cassel Pink Diamond"
- The 3.02-carat, pear-shaped Golconda, the world’s whitest diamond
- A pair of massive, cushion-cut diamond earrings borrowed by Angelina Jolie for the New
- Orleans premiere of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a Nawlins' tale starring husband Brad Pitt
- Location: 630 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70139
- Twitter @rauantiques
- M.S. Rau photos on Pinterest (rauantiques)