About M.S. Rau Antiques in New Orleans' French Quarter•
Founded in 1912, M.S. Rau Antiques in New Orleans is one of the most respected and best-known antiques dealers in the United States.
• M.S. Rau is set in the French Quarter, where its 25,000 square feet of galleries are a museum of dreams for New Orleans visitors
The Kinds of Treasures You Can Buy at M.S. Rau
The merchandise is exquisitely high-end, and the range is enormous.
M.S. Rau deals in a vast variety of antiques from al over the world. But the shop is best known for these coveted objects:
• Paintings by Rubens, van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Gauguin, Picasso
• Fabulous decorative objects like Fabergé eggs and Tiffany art glass
• Major jewelry like the breathtaking 10.06-carat Fancy Blue Diamond shown
• Rare fossils like a 100-million-year-old dinosaur skeleton of a beaked Psittacosaurus
• American antiques like Chippendale furniture and Tiffany glass and silver
• One-of-a-kind historical objects like a telescope owned by Napoleon Bonaparte, Elvis Presley's "sword cane," and the King of Italy's throne chair
M.S. Rau Antiques' Unique 125%-Back Return Policy
M.S. Rau is now in its third generation of Rau family ownership, and its non-corporate soul is revealed in its one-of-a-kind return policy.
• Any purchase can be brought back for a 125% store credit, or a quarter more than you paid.
(Certain conditions apply)
Celebrity Customers of M.S. Rau Antiques
This treasure chest of a store is catnip to antique collectors from all over the world. Among its buyers are some of Hollywood's most tasteful celebrities.
• Famous repeat customers include Martha Stewart, Barbra Streisand, Oprah Winfrey, Tommy Hilfiger, Russell Brand, Sylvester Stallone, and Whoopi Goldberg (who loves browsing the store’s 2,000-item website).
What One of M.S. Rau's Most Loyal Customers Has to Say
Regular buyer Nicolas Cage says this about M.S. Rau: it's "nothing less than the finest antiques gallery in the world, where every piece is a masterful work of art and in flawless, museum-quality condition."
Fantasyland: Big Diamonds Sold at M.S. Rau Antiques
Sometimes you want to give, or buy yourself, a very special piece of jewelry. A world-class bijou. M.S. Rau is known for its estate jewelry and gems. Some incomparable stones that have passed through M.S. Rau's hands:
• The 12.27-carat Majestic Pink Diamond
• The 10.06-carat Royal Blue Diamond
• Diamond-and-emerald cross and diamond-and-ruby ring of Pope Paul VI (1963-1978)
• The 8.03-carat, marquise-cut Golconda, the world’s whitest diamond
• The 18.50-carat Untreated Kashmir Sapphire Ring
• The 4.71-carat "Cassel Pink Diamond"
• The 3.02-karat, pear-shaped Golconda, the world’s whitest diamond
• A pair of massive, cushion-cut diamond earrings borrowed by Angelina Jolie for the New Orleans premiere of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a Nawlins tale starring husband Brad Pitt
Where to Find M.S. Rau Antiques in New Orleans and Online
• 630 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70139
Find Out More About New Orleans, a/k/a The Big Easy, Crescent City, Nawlins
• Go Nola, Nawlins's official visitor site
• Luxury Travel's story about New Orleans' best luxury hotel, Windsor Court
• And two good-value hotel in the middle of everything: InterContinental New Orleans and Le Méridien New Orleans
• Be ready with About.com's cheat sheet of New Orleans slang