Moscow's winter begins in November, and December weather is cold with snow – potentially lots of it. This isn't the type of snow that clears up after a day or so. Now, this snow sticks around until the spring thaw.
What to Pack for Moscow in December
Pack for freezing conditions for December travel to Moscow. Follow tips for winter dress, and make sure that your winter-weather clothing is of a high quality and is guaranteed to provide plenty of insulation.
December Weather in Moscow
- Average December temperature: -5ºC / 23ºF
- December average high: -3ºC / 27ºF
- December average low: -7ºC / 20ºF
- A good quality winter coat
- Boots and tall, warm socks
- Hat, gloves, scarf
December Holidays and Events in Moscow
Moscow doesn't celebrate Christmas until January, but the annual Russian Winter Festival kicks off in the middle of December.
Christmas at the Kremlin concerts begin in December and continue through January.
On December 31st, Russia's New Year's Eve celebrations take over Red Square. Consider watching the fireworks display from another vantage point if you can't handle standing for hours in the cold!
Tips for Travel to Moscow in December
- Head to Red Square to see the New Year's Tree and look for decorations at GUM, Arbat Street, and other well-known locations.
- Moscow's outdoor ice skating rinks provide the opportunity to enjoy one of Moscow's most popular cold-weather activities.
Book Flights and Hotels for Moscow in December
- Hotels in Moscow: Compare Prices
- Flights to Moscow: Compare Prices