Montreal September Weather: Climate, Temperatures*
Montreal's legendary summer humidity generally tapers off by Labour Day, although the region is known to enjoy its fair share of mild, sunny Indian summers.
- Average September temperature: 15.7ºC / 60ºF
- Average September high (day): 19.4ºC / 67ºF
- Average September low (night): 9ºC / 48ºF
- Record high: 32.8ºC / 91ºF
- Record low: 0ºC / 32ºF
- Precipitation**: anticipate 10 days of rain in September and 13 days involving light showers.
- Consult: Today's Montreal Weather Forecast
- See Also: Montreal's Best September Events
- Related: Fall in Montreal
Montreal September Weather: What to Wear
To be on the safe side, think layers. Also, it's a good idea to pack summer clothes as well as fall threads, particularly if visiting during the first half of the month.
Visiting Montreal in September? Pack:
- shorts, linen pants, short-sleeved and sleeveless shirts, tank tops, summer dresses (particularly maxi dresses which are comfortable on a warm day and yet can withstand a temperature drop in the evening)
- light cardigans (e.g., linen, merino wool), wraps, light cotton jackets, blazers, windbreakers
- long pants, jeans, leggings made with breathable material
- closed-toe shoes (or open toe if you belong to the fashionista socks-with-sandals crew), a pair of sandals just in case summer lingers
- sunglasses, sunscreen are a must year-round; sunhat could be useful
- umbrella and/or raincoat
Montreal September Weather: The Lifestyle
It might be back-to-school season in September, but Montrealers continue their summery groove well into Week 2 of the month, if only to keep the summer spirit alive as long as possible before the city gets snowed in for 5 months of the year.
With any luck, warm temperatures persist until the end of September.
Terrace-lingering, cycling, and park lounging are de rigueur. Any excuse to get outdoors. Leaf-peeping? September is a little early for that. Peak season for fall colors usually hits Montreal in October.
Visiting Montreal in September? Stay in One of Old Montreal's Best Hotels
And: Compare Tripadvisor's Best Hotel Deals in Montreal
*Source: Environment Canada. Average temperatures, extremes and precipitation data retrieved September 14, 2010. All information is subject to quality assurance checks by Environment Canada and may change without notice. Note that all weather statistics as presented above are averages compiled from weather data collected over a 30-year period.
**Note that light showers, rain and/or snow may overlap on the same day. For example, if Month X features an average of 10 days of light showers, 10 days of heavier rain and 10 days of snowfall, that does not mean that 30 days of Month X are typically characterized by precipitation. It could mean that, on average, 10 days of Month X may feature light showers, rain and snow within a 24-hour period.