Montreal October Weather: Climate, Temperatures*
Unless the city is blessed with an Indian summer extending beyond September, Montreal is in full fall mode come October.
Visiting Montreal? Compare Tripadvisor's Best Hotel Deals
Crisp, cool but fairly comfortable, it's not uncommon to experience a snowfall at this time. But chances are that if it happens at all, said snowfall would occur closer to the end of the month.
And it would probably be at most a light dusting where flakes don't stay put on the ground for more than a few minutes or hours, melting away by day's end.
- Average October temperature: 9.2ºC / 49ºF
- Average October high (day): 12.3ºC / 54ºF
- Average October low (night): 5.9ºC / 43ºF
- Record high: 28.9ºC / 84ºF
- Record low: -7.2ºC / 19ºF
- Precipitation**: anticipate 6 days of rain in October and 13 days involving light showers. One day of snow flurries a possibility.
- Consult: Today's Montreal Weather Forecast
- See Also: Montreal's Best October Events
- Related: Fall in Montreal
Montreal October Weather: What to Wear
For comfort's sake, October in Montreal is all about layers, particularly if out and about from day to night.
Indian summer days are a possibility, especially in the first two weeks of the month. What that translates into are warm days but cool, generally "unsummery" nights.
In other words, an afternoon in the sun might be comfortable with only a shirt and blazer or windbreaker but as soon as the sun sets, a light jacket with scarf may be necessary when temperatures dip below 10ºC (50ºF) come night.
Visiting Montreal in October? Pack:
- long sleeved shirts, sweaters, short-sleeved and sleeveless shirts to be layered with cardigans, fleece and outerwear
- cardigans, fleece, wraps, jackets, blazers, windbreakers, trench coats, down vests
- long pants, jeans, skirts/dresses with tights, leggings (save freak warm spells, it's a little too cool to comfortably bare legs)
- light scarf, gloves
- closed toe shoes, boots (insulated boots not necessary yet)
- sunglasses and sunscreen are a must year-round
- umbrella and/or raincoat
October weather is synonymous with leaf-peeping and long walks, a favorite month to visit for travelers aversive to Montreal's summer humidity and heavier crowds.
Visiting Montreal in October? Stay in Montreal's Top Boutique Hotels
And: Compare Tripadvisor's Best Hotel Deals in Montreal
*Source: Environment Canada. Average temperatures, extremes and precipitation data retrieved September 14, 2010. All information is subject to quality assurance checks by Environment Canada and may change without notice. Note that all weather statistics as presented above are averages compiled from weather data collected over a 30-year period.
**Note that light showers, rain and/or snow may overlap on the same day. For example, if Month X features an average of 10 days of light showers, 10 days of heavier rain and 10 days of snowfall, that does not mean that 30 days of Month X are typically characterized by precipitation.
It could mean that, on average, 10 days of Month X may feature light showers, rain and snow within a 24-hour period.