Is March a Good Time to Visit Montreal, Quebec? The answer to this question depends on what kind of a traveller you are. If you don't mind cold weather and possibly a major snow storm, then March may be to your liking. Montreal in March is for a more hardy traveller; the more delicate traveller should look West to Vancouver or Victoria.
In Canada, most places (excluding the more moderate West Coast locales) have unpredictable early spring weather that can include snow storms, heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperatures. Especially in Montreal, Canada's third most popular city to visit, but also one of its coldest, March can be wet and frigid rather than mild and sunny.
If you have the proper clothing, including waterproof footwear, you can still enjoy walking Old Montreal's cobblestone streets and visiting many of the city's most popular attractions in March, but drinks on the patio may be out of the picture.
One big draw to Quebec in March is that it is sugar shack season. Starting in February, as temperatures begin to rise and maple sugar starts to run, which means local maple syrup producers welcome visitors to learn how the sweet, sticky condiment is made and sample it straight up or as part of meal.
March Weather in Montreal
- Average March temperature: -1ºC / 30ºF
- March average high: 2ºC / 36ºF
- March average low: -6ºC / 21ºF
Visitors can expect rain about 5 - 7 out of 31 days in March.
What to Pack for Montreal in March
Montreal has cold, snowy winters. The sub-zero temperatures feel colder because of the wind chill factor. But, temperatures are not necessarily unpleasant if you're prepared.
Visitors to Montreal in March should be prepared for a variety of temperatures. Warm spells have been known to happen. Pack clothing that can be layered.
- Long sleeve shirts; sweaters / sweatshirts
- Heavy, winter jacket, lighter jacket or winter vest
- Closed-toe, comfortable waterproof shoes and boots
Montreal in March Perks
- March is low season for visitors to Montreal (except for during school March Break), so lots of hotels offer great deals.
- Spring skiing
Good to Know about Montreal in March
- Public schools have their winter break (also called March Break) during one of the weeks in March - the week varies by province - so if you are planning a trip in March, be prepared for busier than usual hotels and attractions.