Montreal Halloween 2017: The Season's Top Annual Events
Montreal during the Halloween season features a slew of recurring events. Halloween's best-attended event is arguably the Montreal Zombie Walk. Roughly 10,000 participants dressed as the undead attempt to outdo each other with gruesome makeup and varying acting ability as they roam the streets of downtown Montreal in character.
Meanwhile, Rocky Horror fans get their annual fix with the Rocky Horror Montreal Halloween Ball. Usually a series of annual screenings are held with a live cast.
Not so much a Halloween event as it is a fall festival tradition, the Montreal Botanical Garden's Gardens of Light spectacle coincides with the season, illuminating the Chinese and Japanese Gardens with an assortment of lanterns and light displays. Halloween-inspired activities for kids are also on-site, notably an annual pumpkin-decorating competition dubbed the Great Pumpkin Ball
Another staple of the season is Old Montreal's ghost walks, a discovery of the old town set to the pace wrought with sordid tales of alleged hauntings. But don't wait too long to decide if you want in on the fright. These walks fill up fast.
And every year, La Ronde proposes Fright Fest, a season-themed PG-13 affair during the day, but come sundown things get a little creepy at the Six Flag property with about 100 ghouls unleashed on the grounds.
More in Montreal Halloween 2017: From Costume Shops to Corn Mazes
But there's a lot more going on in and around Montreal. From buying the ultimate costume for a Hallow's Eve night out to indulging the little ones in the best nearby corn mazes to spying on the city on Samhain itself, your guide to Montreal Halloween 2017 events, activities and costume shops features the following:
- Samhain in the City
- Curious what Montreal looks like Halloween night? I sent out my photographer one fine All Hallow's Eve to find out.
- Montreal Costumes: Top Shops
- Venetian masks? Check. Period costumes? But of course. From Montreal's oldest costume shop to a vintage hot spot that also rents out costumes, I cover the city's best and biggest, breaking them down by specialty.
- Montreal Halloween Events for Adults
- Your guide to Montreal Halloween events and activities for adults features nightclub parties, naughty bashes, an adults-only haunted house
- Retrieving Jack-O
- You can find a pumpkin anywhere in Montreal. But heading out to a bona fide pumpkin patch and turning a dullard pumpkin purchase into an outdoor pumpkin hunt are what family outings are all about.
Plan Your Stay in Montreal
Heading to Montreal for Halloween? For central accommodations near the Montreal Zombie Walk, try these Montreal Jazz Festival hotels. Hotels near Montreal convention centre Palais des congrès are also quite central, on the edge of downtown Montreal, Chinatown and Old Montreal.
If style is what you're looking for, try these top Montreal boutique hotels, the city's most luxurious accommodations, or these choice Old Montreal hotels located in the heart of the most European part of North America.