Montreal in December
Montreal is particularly beautiful in December as the city lights up for the Christmas holidays. Enjoy light shows, window displays, ice skating and great shopping.
December Weather in Montreal
- Average December temperature: -1ºC / 30ºF
- December average high: 2ºC / 36ºF
- December average low: -4ºC / 25ºF
- Visitors can expect rain about 7 - 9 out of 31 days in December.
What to Pack for Montreal in December
Montreal has cold, snowy winters. The sub-zero temperatures feel colder because of the wind chill factor. But, temperatures are not necessarily unpleasant if you're prepared.
Visitors to Montreal in December should be prepared for a variety of temperatures. Warm spells have been known to happen. Pack clothing that can be layered.
Especially if you are not accustomed to a northern climate, don't be unprepared for the extreme cold, ice and snow you may encounter in Montreal in December. A short jacket, jeans and runners just won't cut it. Proper winter wear is a must. Read How To Dress To Stay Warm in Winter.
- Long sleeve shirts; sweaters/sweatshirts
- Heavy, winter jacket, lighter jacket or winter vest
- Closed-toe, comfortable waterproof shoes, and boots
Montreal in December Perks
- The city is aglow with Christmas lights and there are holiday festivities to attend every day in December.
Good to Know about Montreal in December
- December 25th is a statutory holiday where pretty much everything is closed.
- December 26 is also a statutory holiday in Montreal and all of Quebec for most everyone except those in the retail industry. December 26, or Boxing Day in Canada, is the day when stores offer the biggest sales of the year.
- Good to know any time of the year is that Montreal has an extensive underground path network that allows covered access to shops, restaurants, metro stops and major attractions.
Montreal in December - Events & Highlights
- Joyeux Décembre!: Mont-Royal Avenue is alive with holiday festivities, including light displays and music.
- Christmas at the Garden, December / January: Music and horticulture come together to create an enchanting holiday setting.
- And Then There Was Light, Permanent Exhibit: A historical and cultural multimedia show at the Notre-Dame de Montréal Basilica
- Saint Joseph’s Oratory, has special events planned throughout December.
- Our Montreal Expert has a complete up-to-date list of events and happenings in Montreal in December.