April sees an increase in the number of visitors arriving in Montreal after what is generally a long, snowy and bitterly cold winter. Old Montreal especially is best explored by foot, however if you'd like to do so without snow on the ground you may be best to wait for May. April is a fickle month that likes to tantalize with warm temperatures followed by a blast of cold and snow: the result is a hodgepodge of indeterminate weather that is best described as "wet."
Though April means the streets are starting to bustle and patios are opening up the full assault of summer visitors is yet to come. Tourist crowds will be relatively slight March to May.
Montreal Temperatures in April
- Average maximum daytime temp: 11ºC / 52ºF
- Average minimum daytime temp: 1ºC / 34ºF
Montreal has a short, mild spring, similar to Toronto's. Visitors can expect at least some rain about 11 days out of 30 in April.
Don't trust April in Montreal to have typical spring conditions though. Snow is not unheard of and temperatures can certainly dip below freezing, so prepare for colder conditions than you would think.
What to Pack for Montreal in April:
- Warm, water-resistant outerwear
- Comfortable closed-toe shoes and water-resistant footwear, especially if you're going to be outside of the city.
- Sunhat, sunscreen (be optimistic)
- A range of clothing, including t-shirts, sweaters, light pants, heavy slacks and a warm coat. Dressing in layers is a good idea. Daytimes can be warm, but evenings can still be chilly.
Montreal in April Perks:
- Warmer weather means visitors can enjoy more of Montreal great outdoor offerings.
- Packing is much easier without the parka, boots, hat, mitts, snow pants, etc.
- Springtime means the full throng of summer visitors has not yet arrived.
- Sugar shack season is in full swing when you can visit maple farms and watch maple syrup production and taste the glorious results. Many restaurants will feature maple inspired menus at this time.
- Although the ski season may be finished, ski resorts, like Mont-Tremblant, offer great off-peak deals.
Montreal in April Cons:
- Some of the most popular Canadian festivals and events are not yet under way.
- The popular Tam Tam weekly outdoor circle drum doesn't start till May 1st.
- Weather can be unpredictable and still be chilly.
Montreal in April Highlights and Events:
- Pan-Africa International African and Caribbean Film Festival
- Montreal Classical Guitar Festival
- Blue Metropolis Montreal International Literary Festival is a multi-lingual literary celebration and party.
- Black & Blue Festival is a celebration of gay / bi and transgender culture.
- The Big Fashion Sale by Quebec Designers, Samples and Inventory Liquidation. Unique, drool-worthy stuff for cheap.