Montage Palmetto Bluff, Bluffton, South Carolina, is reaching the final stages of an extensive expansion program. Located within the Palmetto Bluff’s 20,000 acres in the historic community the resort exudes authentic southern hospitality with its roots set deep in tradition and an exceptional Lowcountry setting. September 1 will see the official launch of Montage Palmetto Bluff, the newest and first East Coast location from Montage Hotels & Resorts.
Developed in partnership with Crescent Communities and Athens Development, Montage Palmetto Bluff has added 150 new guest accommodations, including a brand new Inn featuring 74 guest accommodations, extensive dining options that include a signature steakhouse, Spa Montage and extensive space and facilities for meetings and events. These developments complement the already existing resort amenities, which themselves have undergone renovations “to create a seamless and classical design throughout the entire resort.” The newly expanded Palmetto Bluff resort is surrounded by the May, Cooper and New Rivers and vast, old-growth maritime forests. The newly expanded resort now offers 200 spacious suites, guest houses, and cottages, and is the first East Coast resort for Montage Hotels & Resorts.
The expansion features 150 new guest accommodations, including 76 guest rooms set along the banks of the inland waterways, and 74 accommodations located within the new Inn.
All are classically southern with stunning views of the lagoon waterways and maritime forest, designed to emulate the look and feel of the already popular cottages. The Suites offer “luxurious residential touches such as vaulted ceilings, fireplaces, opulent bathrooms and screened verandas with stunning views.”
The new Inn features Jessamine steakhouse restaurant and lively Octagon bar with its sweeping lagoon views. Fancy a day at the spa? The 13,000-square-foot Spa Montage will open in the new Inn with a salon and fitness center that features a wide range of indigenous treatments and experiences. The spa is the only place on the East Coast to feature Jacqueline Piotaz Switzerland treatments.
The Inn, a classic and traditional-style building inspired by the R.T. Wilson Mansion built on the property in the early 1900s features 74 guest accommodations. The intention was for the Inn to be “a place of retreat and southern hospitality, the Inn pays homage to the former Wilson Mansion with its vast front porch and entry columns and a grand interior space adorned with a collection of antiques and fine art.”
The common areas throughout the Inn are inspired by the coast upon which the Inn is set, while the furnishings, art, and accessories reflect the subtle colors and natural surroundings of the resort - Spanish moss greys, pine needle greens, river clay browns, ocean blues, and crepe myrtle crimson.
Golfers will want to play – no, they must play – the 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature Course.
Meandering throughout the May River Forest the layout is ranked number two in the state and plays some 7,171 yards from the tips for a par of 72. It’s typical Nicklaus, a testy tract with several holes laid out along the banks of the river.
Things to Do
And there's more, much more. Just take a peek at these attractions.
- Waterfront activities include sunset river cruises, kayaking, water-skiing, paddleboarding, salt and freshwater fishing
- Access to 32 miles of waterfront and many nearby islands
- Grab a paddleboard or canoe and take a tranquil tour of spectacular Lowcountry scenery along the May River
- Enjoy river cruises and tours on The Grace, the antique 60-foot community yacht (one of the last remaining pre-World War I gas-powered yachts)
- Picnic and relax on the unique tidal beach of the May River Sandbar
- Spend time out on the water with Boo Harrell, Palmetto Bluff’s water guide, who leads guests and residents on tours along the May River
- Guided tours offer access to untouched creeks, glassy waters, peaceful maritime forests and deserted hummock islands native to the Lowcountry
- Expansive trail system for hiking, biking or horseback riding to explore and discover the Palmetto Bluff community’s 20,000 acres
- Canoe Club with kayak and canoe launch docks, a riverside pool, fitness center and dining with stunning views of the water
- Wilson Lawn & Racquet Club with a pro shop and tennis, croquet and bocce courts
- Longfield Stables, premiere equestrian facility with spacious barns, covered arena and cross-country course over 173 acres
- Palmetto Bluff Shooting Club, featuring 13 sporting clays stations winding through an expansive 40-acre hardwood bottom
- Fishing excursions and fly fishing instruction, exploring the community’s inland watertrail system or deeper waters offshore.
Meeting and Events
The resort now offers more than 16,000-square feet of meetings and events spaces including two ballrooms, two chapels and multiple outdoor entertainment spaces. The new Inn features a new Wilson Ballroom, ideal for one grand gala or divisible into smaller rooms for intimate events. The new Somerset Chapel features natural light and simple and elegant architecture for up to 185 guests. The Riverfront Chapel overlooks the May River and seats up to 100 guests
For the Kids
For visitors with families, the Paintbox Children’s Program is Montage Hotels & Resort’s signature program for in-house guests, as well as resort-restaurant guests and patrons of Spa Montage. The exclusive program showcases themed activities related to the Lowcountry destination with specific themed days as well.
For more information, you can visit the Resort Website or call the number listed below.
476 Mt. Pelia Road, Bluffton, SC (843) 706-6500