A Quick Look at Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa
What Is Monastero Santa Rosa and Why Does It Win So Many Awards?
Monastero Santa Rosa, opened in 2012, is a spectacular, 20-room Amalfi Coast luxury hotel on Southern Italy's legendary shore. Monastero Santa Rosa is a repeat winner of the "world's best hotels" variety
• The hotel features beautiful guest rooms, an excellent restaurant, a full-service spa, and lovely grounds
• It is in every way a true luxury hotel
• Monastero Santa Rosa's website
Monastero Santa Rosa Is Both Ancient and Contemporary
Monastero Santa Rosa is both new and old. It is a modern hotel set in a restored 17th-century monastery. Much of the original architecture remains, lending the hotel a strong historic feeling.
Hotel service at Monastero Santa Rosa is attentive and fully English-speaking. Various guest amenities included with room rates: a full breakfast; shuttle service to the beach and to neighboring villages; a strong wifi signal; mineral water; and spa-like bathrooms with sensual Italian toiletries.
What Kinds of Guests Are Happy at Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa
This is a quiet hotel that appeals to refined luxury travelers.
Monastero Santa Rosa's happiest guests are those who are looking for:
• An intimate boutique hotel
• A historic hotel with a lot of authenticity and antique flair
• A serene, low-key luxury hotel to nest in with a partner
• A hotel with a deluxe spa on-property
Monastero Santa Rosa may not be your hotel style if you seek:
• An international luxury hotel brand with predictable décor and character
• A newly constructed hotel with modern design
• A bigger grand hotel where you can lounge in the lobby and people-watch
• A location within walking distance of Amalfi or Positano nightlife (Monastero Santa Rosa is a short drive away)
• A full-service hotel gym (this one consists of a couple of cardio machines on an outdoor deck)
• A hotel that caters to kids (and that is not perched on a cliff)
Sound good? Next, the dazzling setting of Monastero Santa Rosa
Incredible Setting of Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa
Location of Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa on Italy's Amalfi Coast
Monastero Santa Rosa is perched on a cliff overlooking the azure Tyrrhenian Sea on Southern Italy's Amalfi Coast, a luxury travel legend.
• The hotel's exact location is the sleepy village of Conca dei Marini between the larger villages of Amalfi and Positano
The AMalfi Is Not Hard to Get To
The Amalfi Coast is not terribly hard to get to. The closest city, and airport, is Naples, an hour and a half's drive from the hotel.
• Most guests arrive by car (rental or car service)
• The Italian railroad system, Trenitalia, goes to the town of Salerno a half hour away
Things You Can Do Near Monastero Santa Rosa on the Amalfi Coast
Off-property expeditions and activities nearby on the Amalfi Coast include:
• Hikes or quick drives to lively village of Amalfi
• In the hills above Amalfi is Ravello, offering a breathtaking panorama of the Amalfi Coast, summer concerts, and patrician villas and gardens
• The town of Positano, famed for its beauty and its Sentiero degli Dei (Path of the Gods) walking trail through the hillsides
• The Isle of Capri, accessible via 20-minute ferry
• In summer, the cultural Festival of Sant'Andrea nearby
• Let About's Italy Travel expert tell you more about the Amalfi Coast
The Beach Is So Easy to Reach
Monastero Santa Rosa operates a complimentary shuttle to the beach down below the hotel snot to places within a few miles.
Next: the rooms at Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa
Guest Rooms & Suites at Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel on Italy's Amalfi Coast
Rooms & Suites at Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa on Italy's Amalfi Coast
Monastero Santa Rosa is a luxury boutique hotel with only 20 accommodations.
The hotel's building -- once a monastery -- is 400 years old, so rooms are all different. Yet they all flaunt vintage Italian elegance. Rooms retain their original vaulted ceilings, and are decorated with hand-chosen, one-of-a-kind furnishings, many antique.
The 12 rooms and eight suites in Monastero Santa Rosa are named for herbs that grow in the property's herb garden. There are 10 styles of rooms. Most have king beds. Some have terraces. Many command not one but two spectacular views: the sapphire Bay of Naples and the rocky coastline.
• Most rooms are pictured on the hotel's rooms page.
All rooms and suites offer a built-in closet with a dresser and safe; LCD TVs; free, strong wifi; Italian mineral water; a minibar; fresh flowers.
Monastero Santa Rosa's Spa-Like Bathrooms
Monastero Santa Rosa's marble-everywhere bathrooms are exquisite. Mine had a walk-in, stone-tiled rainfall shower with a bench; a vast tub with a postcard view; a sink with ample counter space. The bathroom's generously sized toiletries included luscious, orangewater-scented balms made by Ortigia in Sicily and botanical bath salts from Santa Maria Novella in Florence.
Next: the sensational, sensual spa at Monastero Santa Rosa
The Splendid Spa at Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel on Italy's Amalfi Coast
The Hard-to-Resist Spa at Monastero Santa Rosa
The Spa at Monastero Santa Rosa is uniquely set in the deepest, vaulted reaches of this 400-year-old building, in contemplative nooks that were once monks' cells. This exotic space, lit by sconces and candelabra, makes a spa indulgence feel like a Renaissance spiritual experience.
The spa is full-service, with face and body treatments for women, men, and couples. Services are expertly performed by highly credentialed international aestheticians and massage therapists. Many treatments make use of lotions and potions concocted by the nuns of Santa Maria Novella in Florence.
The Spa's Tepidarium
All spa patrons are entitled to use of the spa's Tepidarium ("warm room" in Latin), a series of heated spaces. On offer here:
• Whirlpool foot baths with heated seats
• Heated hydrotherapy pool
• Domed stone steam room infused with herbs from the hotel garden
• Dry sauna room carved from stone
• Crushed ice fountain for refreshment
• "Emotion Shower" with multiple water jets
Next: the delicious Amalfi dining & drinking at Monastero Santa Rosa >>
Restaurant & Bar at Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel on the Amalfi Coast
Farm-and-Sea-to-Table Amalfi Dining at Monastero Santa Rosa
The hotel's Ristorante Santa Rosa is romantically set in a vaulted room made magical by candlelight and open sea views.
The ristorante's outdoor terrace overlooking the sea is one of Italy's most inspired dinner settings. Lunch may be enjoyed at poolside or along one of the hotel's terraced paths.
The restaurant's cuisine blends German-born chef Christoph Bob's Continental finesse with the traditions and bounty of the surrounding Campania region.
Many of the restaurant's ingredients, such as its Pastificio dei Campi pasta and its olive oils, are produced exclusively for the hotel. Most of the kitchen's vegetables and herbs are grown right on-property.
The result: Chef Christoph''s dishes could not taste fresher. His pasta and just-caught seafood dishes are not to be missed.
Breakfast, included with room rates, offers both an elegant buffet and an a la carte menu. Guest may enjoy their breakfast indoors or outdoors, or as room service.
Drinking at Monastero Santa Rosa
The hotel's wine cellar is overseen by the young son of Monastero Santa Rosa's owner. This tasteful lady is an American widow who fell in love with the unrestored property at first sight from a yacht.
Monastero Santa Rosa's bar offers lounge seating and café tables indoors and out.
Hotel guests seeking to dine off-property have their choice of fashionable yet informal restaurants nearby, such as Lido Azzurra in Amalfi.
Next; Connect with Monastero Santa Rosa
Connect with Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa
Find Out About Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa & Start Planning a Visit
• Monastero Santa Rosa's website
• By email
• On Facebook
• On Twitter (@MonasteroSRosa)
• Photos on Pinterest
• About's Europe Travel Expert's photos of the amazing Amalfi Coast
• Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa
Via Roma 2
84010 Conca dei Marini
Salerno, Amalfi Coast, Italy
As is common in the travel industry, the Expert was provided with a complimentary visit in order to describe the hotel. For more info, see our site's Ethics Policy.