Washington DC takes pride in the U.S. Armed Forces and has many places that offer discounts to military members, veterans and their families. While dozens of the most popular attractions in the nation’s capital are free to everyone, there are plenty of organizations that offer savings to active duty Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard as well as reserves, guardsmen, veterans, law enforcement, first responders and dependents. Please note that programs change periodically, so it is best to call ahead or check the related website to verify discounts. Be sure to bring your ID.
Dozens of museums in Washington DC are free, but there are a few popular ones that are privately owned and charge admission fees. The following museums offer savings for members of the military.
- International Spy Museum - $6 discount
- National Crime and Punishment Museum - $2 discount
- Newseum - $3 discount
Here are some great places to save money.
- Washington Nationals Baseball - $3 discount
- Capital Wheel - $1.50 discount
- Washington Redskins - discount varies
- DC United - up 30 percent discount
- Ford’s Theatre - 50 percent discount on tickets to Ford's Theatre performances
- Arena Stage - 20 percent discount
- Folger Shakespeare Theatre - 50 percent discount
- Wooly Mammoth Theatre - 10 percent discount
- Theatre J - $15 off
- Young Playrights Theatre - FREE tickets
- Studio Theatre - 20 percent discount
- Bobby McKey’s - FREE cover (standing room) on Friday Nights “Armed Forces Fridays”
- Round House Theatre - tickets are reduced to $35 and $20
- Signature Theatre - 20 percent discount
Many hotels offer discounted rates to active and retired military personnel and their families. Below are details on some of the most well-known name brand hotels. If you can't find the details, just call the hotel directly and ask.
Hilton Hotels - Save up to 15 percent off at Hilton Hotels, Hampton Inns & Suites, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites, and Homewood Suites brands.
Marriott - The locally headquartered hotel chain has more than 3,800 locations that offer discounted room rates for military. Marriott operates hotels with more than a dozen brands, each categorized as luxury, lifestyle collection, signature, select service, extended stay, and destination entertainment properties. Learn more about Marriott Hotels and specific locations in Washington DC.
Kimpton Hotels - The European-style boutique hotels offer 10 percent off to veterans.
Starwood Hotels - Government rates are available for military personnel at Westin, Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton, St. Regis, and W Hotels.
Choice Hotels - Choice Hotels offer guaranteed discounts at more than 2,700 participating properties including Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, MainStay Suites, Suburban Extended Stay, Econo Lodge and Rodeway Inn hotels.
Hundreds of restaurants across the country offer military and veteran discounts, so when in doubt, be sure to ask. Chain restaurants that offer price reductions include Hard Rock Café, Applebee's, IHOP, Cracker Barrel, Longhorn Steakhouse, Wendy's, Golden Corral, Arby's, Chick-fil-A, Subway, Quiznos, and more.
Amtrak - Amtrak offers active-duty US military personnel, their spouses, and their dependents a 10 percent discount on the lowest available rail fare on most trains. The national rail operator operates approximately 85 trains daily into and out of Washington, DC.