Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, is celebrating the scary season with Halloween Time, a seven-week spooky extravaganza that will take place September 9 to October 31, 2016. During the last five weeks, Disney is also offering its after-hours Mickey's Halloween Party on 17 select nights.
What happens during Halloween Time?
During the seven weeks of Halloween Time, both of the Disneyland Resort parks—Disneyland and Disney California Adventure—are decked out for a cheerfully spooky and definitely kid-friendly Halloween celebration.
Highlights in 2016 include the seasonal re-theming of Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, Mickey Mouse and his friends in Halloween costumes, and a special focus on Disney villains.
- Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy launches guests into a haunted section of the universe where ghosts appear out of the starry darkness and the ride's exhilarating drops are punctuated by bloodcurdling screams and haunting music.
- Haunted Mansion Holiday is brought to you by Jack Skellington, from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. The residents of Halloween Town.come to New Orleans Square in Disneyland and each year brings a new design and new surprises to the traditional Halloween/Christmas gingerbread house in the Mansion Ballroom.
- Dia de Los Muertos is a Disneyfied tribute to Mexico's "Day of the Dead" celebration, with facepainting for kids and a musical trio of iconic calacas—skeleton figurines—as well as brightly colored flowers and other decorative items commemorating the occasion.
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney California Adventure, as always, begins with the story of a “supernatural” event that happened on Halloween night, 1939, forever haunting the building.
- Main Street USA., in Disneyland is transformed for the Pumpkin Festival, with hundreds of pumpkins on display, no two of them the same.
- Disney villains will be conjured up in a sideshow tent at the Halloween Carnival at Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland. The Halloween Carnival also features pumpkin carvers, Halloween activities for youngsters and favorite Disney characters in Halloween costumes.
What is Mickey's Halloween Party all about?
The after-hours Mickey's Halloween Party is an exclusive event that requires a separate ticket. Adults and children are encouraged to dress up in costume and trick-or-treat at Disneyland Park, enjoying candy and healthy treats. Ticketed guests get the extra benefit of being able to arrive early and play in Disneyland for three hours prior to the start of Mickey’s private bash.
2016 dates are: Friday, Sept. 23; Monday, Sept. 26; Wednesday, Sept. 28; Friday, Sept. 30; Monday, Oct. 3; Wednesday, Oct. 5; Friday, Oct. 7; Monday, Oct. 10; Wednesday, Oct. 12; Friday, Oct. 14; Monday, Oct. 17; Thursday, Oct. 19; Friday, Oct. 21; Monday, Oct. 24; Wednesday, Oct. 26; Saturday, Oct. 29 and Monday, Oct. 31.
- Halloween Screams fireworks spectacular, hosted by “Master of Scare-omonies” Jack Skellington
- Frightfully Fun parade led by characters from Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and featuring ballroom dancers, gravediggers and hitchhiking ghosts.
- Trick-or-treat stations throughout the park
- Disney villains arriving amid thunder and lightning to transform Town Square into Villains Square, on Main Street USA.
- The Cadaver Dans ghoul quartet, a spooky barbershop foursome performing Halloween-themed tunes aboard a drifting graveyard-themed raft on the Rivers of America.
How can you get tickets to Mickey’s Halloween Party?
Tickets may be purchased online and, for the first time, on mobile devices at Disneyland.com/party as well as at the Disneyland Resort main gate and by phone at 714/781-4400.
Tickets purchased in advance are available at a discount on select nights. Tickets purchased on the day of the event cost $79 each. In the last weeks of October, tickets cost $89 each.