Xplor is an adventure park in the Riviera Maya where you can soar above the level of the trees on ziplines, explore the jungle at ground level in an amphibious vehicle, and traverse underground tunnels and caverns on foot, swimming, and by raft. Just be aware that in all of these activities you may get wet!
This park opened its doors in 2009 as the second park to open in the Xcaret group of parks. In comparison with the other parks, Xplor is focused on adventure and adrenaline activities. Xplor is located near Xcaret and Xenses parks, about 35 miles south of Cancun and roughly halfway between Cancun and Tulum.
At the center of Xplor Park, there is a heart-shaped that emits the sound of a heartbeat. This is the main landmark to help you find your way. Underground tunnels lead to the park’s different activities. Follow the signs through the caverns and tunnels to each of the activities, and return to the heart afterward to choose your next adventure.
Things to Do at Xplor
- Ziplines: The main attraction at Xplor are the ziplines. These are the tallest lines in Cancun and the Riviera Maya—the highest one stands at 49 yards (45 meters) tall. There are 14 lines in two different circuits, and together, they add up to more than miles of flight. Some of the ziplines have water features: you’ll glide high above the jungle before splashing through a waterfall or landing in a cenote.
- Amphibious vehicles: One person drives while three ride as passengers through two circuits, going through the jungle, tunnels, and streams. Each circuit is 3 miles long.
- Underground rivers: The limestone bedrock of the Yucatan Peninsula has lots of caves, caverns, and underground rivers. Get to know these underground passages by swimming through one.
- Underground rafts: Surrounded by ancient rock formations, paddle your raft among stalactites and stalagmites along underground rivers inside the spectacular caverns and caves of Xplor.
- Hammock splash: Instead of a harness, sit in a hammock to ride a short zipline that lands you in a refreshing cenote.
- Buffet: The buffet at Xplor is open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and is included in your admission. No alcoholic drinks are served here, but there are plenty of options to eat, both Mexican and international dishes, as well as fresh fruit and salads, and fruit drinks.
When to Visit
Xplor Park is open year-round, Monday to Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is also a nighttime park experience called Xplor Fuego, which operates on the same days from 5:30 to 11:30 p.m. Any time of the year is good to go. You will get wet, so keep in mind that if the weather’s not hot, you may feel a bit chilly—but the adrenaline rush may help overcome that!
Tips for Visiting
- Purchase your tickets in advance for a discount. You’ll save 10 percent if you purchase a week before your visit, or 15 percent if you purchase three weeks ahead of time.
- The minimum age for access to the park is five years old. Children between 5 and 11 years of age pay 50 percent of the adult admission fee.
- Bring a swimsuit or clothes that you don’t mind getting wet, a towel, water shoes, and a dry change of clothes.
- Swim shoes are the best footwear. You need shoes that will stay on your feet during ziplines and to protect your feet when walking through the tunnels and when on the amphibious vehicle that you don't mind getting wet.
- You’ll either need to leave your phone in a locker while partaking in the activities, or bring a waterproof case. (You can buy one at the park, at a premium cost.)
- There are cameras throughout the park that are activated by your helmet—there's no option to purchase individual photos, only a package deal for about $60 that includes all the photos you're in.
- Take biodegradable sunscreen or participate in the sunscreen swap program where the staff takes your conventional sunscreen and gives you a portion of biodegradable sunscreen for the day and you can get your sunscreen back before you leave.