One of the Top 5 Shopping Malls in Metro Vancouver, Metropolis at Metrotown (sometimes referred to simply as "Metrotown") is easy to access from Downtown Vancouver: you just take the Canada Line / SkyTrain (Vancouver's rapid transit system) directly to the mall!
Inside Metropolis at Metrotown
You can find just about anything at this gargantuan mall--from appliances to clothes to electronics (including an Apple store). Overall, the stores tend to be more middle-of-the-budget than high-end, with some discount options and "fast fashion" favorites like Forever 21.
Metrotown is a great place to shop for variety, teen and kids' fashions and home accessories, or to spend a rainy day exploring its many levels. Shops are a good mix of international (e.g., H&M, Armani Exchange, Banana Republic) and Canadian (e.g., Aritzia, Le Chateau). Major department stores at the mall include The Bay (Hudson Bay Company) and Sears.
Along with the fashion, home decor and electronics, the mall also has a giant Real Canadian Superstore (a Canadian discount store similar to Walmart), where you can buy groceries, and is home to the Silver City movie theatre.
- Monday - Saturday 10am - 9pm
- Sunday 11am - 7pm
Getting to Metropolis at Metrotown
Metropolis at Metrotown is located at 4700 Kingsway in Burnaby, south east of Vancouver.
Drivers will find plenty of parking at the enormous complex, but the easiest way to get to and from Metrotown is by SkyTrain: It's just 20 minutes from the SkyTrain Waterfront Station in Downtown Vancouver to the Metrotown SkyTrain Station.
Attractions in Burnaby, BC
Metropolis at Metrotown is in the City of Burnaby, the city just east of Vancouver, BC. Other Burnaby, BC attractions include:
- Burnaby Village Museum - an open-air museum for kids that recreates a small town in British Columbia in the 1920s. Rather than a single building, this "museum" is actually a village with a main street, with shops and period buildings to explore.
- Miniature Trains at the Burnaby Central Railway - one of my picks for the Top 10 Things to Do with Kids in Vancouver, this adorable attraction offers kids a chance to ride on miniature trains pulled by working steam engines. Open weekends only, from Easter to Canadian Thanksgiving.
- Deer Lake - one of the best scenic yet "easy" hikes in Metro Vancouver is around Burnaby's beautiful Deer Lake, which has other kids' activities, too.
- Burnaby Mountain Park - this gorgeous park boasts incredible views, lovely picnic areas, a rose garden, hiking trails, and the beautiful Kamui Mintara (Playground of the Gods) sculptures, which are particularly haunting at sunset.