Memorial Day is Monday May 27 in 2013. Here's what's happening on Memorial Day, and over Memorial Day weekend in Minneapolis, St. Paul and the Twin Cities metro area.
Memorial Day Services and EventsHonoring fallen soldiers, paying tribute to military veterans and supporting current military personnel - here's organized tributes, commemorations and services in Minneapolis and St. Paul for Memorial Day.
Things to do on Memorial Day WeekendIt's a long weekend, traditionally the start of summer, and hopefully the weather will be warm by now!
- Get out of town. Here's some suggestions for weekend trips from Minneapolis and St. Paul, and places to go this long weekend. Book as soon as you can - a lot of other people have the same idea!
- Get outside. Get your bike out, your kayak or canoe, go for a run, a hike or a walk outside on one of our trails or at one of our parks.
- Tend your garden. So exciting to see everything growing!
- Go to a Farmers Market. Farmer's markets are opening, and new produce is arriving all the time. And there is always fresh, local eggs, cheese, meat, honey, bread and baked goods. Here's a list of farmer's markets in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
- See Minnesota's History. Historic Fort Snelling, and the Sibley House Historic Site are only open to visitors in the summer months, and both sites open for the season today. Costumed guides help recreate the period atmosphere. Another place to experience Minnesota of days past is at the Civil War site The Landing in Shakopee, where many special Civil War and period events are happening all weekend.
- Watch Baseball. Even better, watch baseball outdoors at Target Field or Midway Stadium. The Minnesota Twins are out of town this weekend, playing the Detroit Tigers on May 23, 24, 25, and 26, and then at the Brewers on Memorial Day itself. The Saint Paul Saints host the El Paso Diablos at Midway Stadium for three games on May 24, 25 and 26. There will be fireworks after the game on Friday 24, and on Sunday 26, there will be a food truck rally, Memorial Day events, and more fireworks.
- Free movies and music in the parks. Parks in Minneapolis, St. Paul and across the Twin Cities book bands and performers, and screen movies all summer. Most cities start their summer music and movie season this weekend. Here's what's happening at a park near you.
- Go to a music festival. The annual Soundset Music Festival with hip hop and rap artists is held in Canterbury Park on Sunday May 26, and the hippie/alternative Bella Music Festival runs all weekend at Harmony Park, about two hours south of the Twin Cities. Here's the rundown on Minnesota music festivals this summer.