When Is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is May 30, but it is observed on the last Monday in May.
- 2016: Monday, May 30, 2016
- 2017: Monday, May 29, 2017
- 2018: Monday, May 28, 2018
- 2019: Monday, May 27, 2019
- 2020: Monday, May 25, 2020
What is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day (originally called Decoration Day) is a day of remembrance for those who have died in service to the United States.
What You Should You Know About Memorial Day
- Memorial Day is a U.S. Federal Holiday.
- Schools, banks and post offices are closed on Memorial Day.
- Most restaurants, stores and attractions are open on Memorial Day
- Memorial Day Weekend marks the unofficial start of summer. Many New Yorkers leave the city to head to the beach or the country, but the city is still fairly busy with visitors taking advantage of the long weekend.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art is open on Memorial Day as part of the special Met Holiday Mondays sponsored by Bloomberg
Memorial Day Events in New York City
- Fleet Week has a variety of events over the Memorial Day weekend.
- The NY Philharmonic will play a free concert at St. John the Divine at 8 p.m. Free Memorial Day Concert Details.
- Memorial Day Weekend events at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, including a free flag laying ceremony at 11:30 a.m.
- Memorial Day Parade from 12 to 2 p.m. at Broadway and Dyckman, in uptown Manhattan